Error looking up Bluetooth device

I moved back to my Pi (3 model B, running HassOS 3.7) and enables Bluetooth Device Tracker. But since I did that I get the following error in the log:

Error looking up Bluetooth device
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 31, in discover_devices
    lookup_class=lookup_class, device_id=device_id)
_bluetooth.error: (110, 'Operation timed out')

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bluetooth_tracker/device_tracker.py", line 140, in perform_bluetooth_update
    devices = await hass.async_add_executor_job(discover_devices, device_id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bluetooth_tracker/device_tracker.py", line 62, in discover_devices
    device_id=device_id,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 34, in discover_devices
    raise BluetoothError ("error communicating with local "
bluetooth.btcommon.BluetoothError: error communicating with local bluetooth adapter

Any good ideas how to solve it?

1 Like

I had similar issues to this and after some investigation I found that by rolling back HassOS from 3.7 to 2.12 (by using the import USB function) these errors no longer appear and my bluetooth tracking now works flawlessly once again (which it didn’t under 3.7).

1 Like

I continue to keep having this issue with BT tracking crashing with any version of HassOS 3.x on a RP3b. BT tracking is solid on HassOS 2.12. I have a wired network connection and wifi not configured.

To easily roll back to HassOS 2.12, run the following command from SSH.
hassio os update --version 2.12