Error mobile_app not loaded

Iā€™ve been a Home Assistant user for about a year now. I came from the Vera platform and Lua programming. HA and Python were very foreign
to me at first and I reached out to the forums on several occasions. More than once I got the dreaded RTFM response. Great. Maybe the answer is in there but it may take hours or days to find. This forum should be about helping folks learn, not bashing someone who canā€™t find the answer elsewhere. Eventually my skills improved and I felt like I could help people who were struggling like I was a year ago. It was nice to pay it forward and actually help someone.

As new platforms and procedures roll out there will certainly be some who are still new and at a total loss as to how to solve the issue at hand. They reach out here and get told to RTFM! Well, Iā€™m sorry, but not everyone is as smart as you and EVERYONE needs a little help sometimes. If your BEST answer is RTFM then I humbly suggest that you STFU and simply move on to the next post.

4 Likes

Hello guys,

I RTFM. I did add mobile_app (not default_config because the components behind are configured for my needs individually), the discovery line was already in my configuration.yaml
As it was not working

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to set up dependencies of mobile_app. Setup failed for dependencies: cloud

Despite what is written, the cloud component seems mandatory, at least in my configuration.
So I added the cloud line in the configuration.yaml, without success:

INFO (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded cloud from homeassistant.components.cloud
INFO (SyncWorker_8) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded mobile_app from homeassistant.components.mobile_app
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for cloud: Unable to import component
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to set up dependencies of mobile_app. Setup failed for dependencies: cloud
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for mobile_app: Could not set up all dependencies.

Working in IT for 25 years, I tried to increase the logger level and there is basically nothing more in the log:

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for cloud: Unable to import component
DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event call_service[L]: domain=persistent_notification, service=create, service_data=title=Invalid config, message=The following components and platforms could not be set up:

- cloud

Please check your config., notification_id=invalid_config>
DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: entity_id=persistent_notification.invalid_config, old_state=None, new_state=<state persistent_notification.invalid_config=notifying; title=Invalid config, message=The following components and platforms could not be set up:

- cloud

Please check your config. @ 2019-11-27T16:01:33.181916+01:00>>
INFO (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded google_translate from homeassistant.components.google_translate
ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for mobile_app: Could not set up all dependencies.
DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event call_service[L]: domain=persistent_notification, service=create, service_data=title=Invalid config, message=The following components and platforms could not be set up:

- cloud
 - [mobile-app](https://home-assistant.io/integrations/mobile_app/)

Please check your config., notification_id=invalid_config>

And, for good measure, here is part of my configuration.yaml, nothing fancy here:

homeassistant:
  # Customization file
  customize: !include customize.yaml
#  auth_providers:
#   - type: homeassistant
#   - type: legacy_api_password
#     api_password: !secret http_password

logger:
  default: notset

# MQTT Broker
mqtt:
  broker: localhost
  username: mqtt_user
  password: !secret mqtt_password

system_health:

# Enable the auth component
#auth:

recorder:
  purge_keep_days: 5

# Enables the frontend
frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes/
  javascript_version: latest

homekit:

# Enables configuration UI
config:

# iOS alerts
ios:

# Discover some devices automatically
discovery:

# Cloud
cloud:

# Mobile application
mobile_app:
1 Like

Sorry I canā€™t help as I have the exact same issue as you have described. Despite using default_config: and/or mobile_app: I simply cannot get mobile_app to load.

In fact, my notifications area reports the following.

Invalid config

The following components and platforms could not be set up:

• cloud
  • mobile-app
  • default-config

Please check your config.

I guess your instance may have dependency problems, are you by any chance running directly on top of python?

I think that thereā€™s a version issue as well: The app seems to require HA v0.95 or later, and unfortunately - AFAIK - legacy API key support was deprecated in v0.90. So, if you need the legacy API, you canā€™t have the new app,
Is there any way to re-install the old version?

It is possible to install an old version of HA.
https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/updating/

For my issue, the notification is

Invalid config

cloud
mobile-app

My version is v0.102.2 and I commented the legacy configuration as you can see above.

#  auth_providers:
#   - type: homeassistant
#   - type: legacy_api_password
#     api_password: !secret http_password

with no success.
The problem is that it is NOT POSSIBLE to revert the iOS app

I restored my iOS device (iPod Touch) from a backup and was able to recover the old version of the iOS app that way.

Moved everything from ~/.homeassistant to ~/.homeassistant.backup
Restarted from fresh install, all files empty and configuration.yaml like this:

homeassistant:
  # Name of the location where Home Assistant is running
#  name: Home
  # Location required to calculate the time the sun rises and sets
#  latitude: 40.9083
#  longitude: -73.8346
  # Impacts weather/sunrise data (altitude above sea level in meters)
#  elevation: 44
  # metric for Metric, imperial for Imperial
#  unit_system: imperial
  # Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
#  time_zone: America/New_York

# Example configuration.yaml entry
default_config:

http:
  # Uncomment this to add a password (recommended!)
  # api_password: PASSWORD
  # Uncomment this if you are using SSL or running in Docker etc
  # base_url: example.duckdns.org:8123

# Discover some devices automatically
discovery:

# Allows you to issue voice commands from the frontend in enabled browsers
conversation:

# Weather Prediction
sensor:
  platform: yr

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate
    service_name: google_say
    cache: false
    time_memory: 60

group: !include groups.yaml

And ā€¦ it is not working, Iā€™m desperated!
Same error in the log with default_config as recommended in the migration guide:

Invalid config

cloud
mobile-app
default-config
Please check your config.

As mentioned above, I was experiencing exactly the same issues as you detailed. I found this article late last night, tried it just now and perfect, all my default platforms and components load. I reinstalled the companion app and was able to set it up without incident. Hope it helps you. This article refers to beta testing, which I have not been involved with so just ignore that and follow the steps.
https://companion.home-assistant.io/en/next/troubleshooting/beta-cleaning

Hi Darren,

Thank you for the link but I did read that one as well 2 days ago.

The steps 1 to 9 are not relevant for me because I did a fresh installation, no integration, no entity prefixed by mobile_app, no .storage directory, no know_devices file, no nothing.
Steps 10 to 12 I already did but the mobile_app component is indeed missing from my HA configuration.

Why? Because it doesnā€™t start because cloud doesnā€™t start.
Why? This is where I am, not knowing why this damn cloud component is loading but doesnā€™t ā€œsetupā€ correctly even if there is nothing but ā€œcloud:ā€ in my configuration.yaml (or ā€œdefault_config:ā€ in my last attempt)

1 Like

Have you tried mobile_app: ? I donā€™t use default_config. You donā€™t need to add cloud either as mobile_app will load that as well.

Hi @Olivier1974 Could you just briefly describe your software/hardware setup. It sounds like youā€™re running Home Assistant on top of Linux or something similar. The logs seem to be saying that those components are trying to start but failing. I would guess you have dependencies which need updating.

@Olivier1974 I suppose this is the same issue:

The solution is to update libc6 or even to update to a more recent release of debian.
Or just forget about all that and install hass.io on hassos :wink:

Hi @TomBrien,

Indeed, Iā€™m running Hassbian on a Raspberry Pi 3.
Iā€™ll try the @olbjan solution to update libc6 and let everyone know.

Thanks for giving part of your time to solve my weird issue.

1 Like

Sorry the solution that worked for me didnā€™t work for you. Sounds like we have a slightly different setup. I am running Hass.io on a raspberry Pi. I had a .storage directory so deleted the cloud and mobile_app files completely.

Hi guys,

I tried hass.io (which I donā€™t like because I canā€™t use my Pi to do other things like CUPS server, PiHole, ā€¦)
But it doesnā€™t want to install itself. It is filling the screen with strange IPv6 link Up/Down, plenty debug things, I donā€™t understand why (prior to even configure HA)

On the other hand, I tried libc6 unstable from @olbjan, removing default_config and adding mobile_app, but without success (I was not sure because my error is related to mobile_app/cloud component and not an error 500 from the server but it was worth a try)

As I gave a try with DuckDNS long time ago but without success either as my provider is blocking the NAT pinning (NAT loopback), Iā€™m wondering if a reliquate of certificate and/or python encryption library and/or something related is not the reason why I canā€™t put mobile_app without the cloud component.

Iā€™m on the way to investigate that as well.

Iā€™ll let you know.

Hello everyone,

I gave up. Sorry for who will try to find a solution to this problem in the future, hoping to find the post who will give the miraculous command to do so.
As hassbian is deprecated since October 2019, and because Iā€™m using HA since 0.56, I took this opportunity to install a fresh Raspbian Buster on a new SD Card, restarting from naked OS, naked HA 0.102.2 and it worked.

Iā€™ve spend almost my whole night redoing all my configuration but there it is, it is working now.
Iā€™ll never know what was wrong with the other setup. It is on a SD Card so I can bring it back to life for future reference :slight_smile:

Thank you everyone for the help provided.

2 Likes

I got mobile_app working in python virtual env on raspberry stretch.
problem seems related to glibc version 2.25 is not installed in stretch.

check installed versions by command: strings /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 | grep GLIBC

I added repository ā€œdeb http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/ buster main contrib non-free rpiā€
then sudo apt update && sudo apt install libc6
check version again as stated above and verify that 2.25 is installed, no need to reboot, just restart home-assistant (service)

I removed buster repository after completion.

You know what would be better?
Not breaking shit after every update every week.

You need to consult your DOCS every week to watch television or operate your doorbell?

Good Grief Indeed!

2 Likes

Hi guys,

I just installed Home Assistant 3.13 on a RPi 3B, just added some Z-Wave devices (so not much config modifications) and have the very same problem.
Does anyone have a solution for me ?