Error when following "Set up Development Environment" guide

Hi All,

Thanks for Home Assistant - really, it’s quite awesome. I’m relatively new to using it and to the point where I would like to start contributing. I was able to successfully go through the “Set up Development Environment” guide (link) up the point where it says to run ‘script/setup’. This setup script does execute but eventually errors out and I don’t know what to do now.

Below I pasted the last bit of the script where it works and then eventually fails. (searching for ‘error’ in this text will highlight the problem) I’m running this on a clean, standard Debian installation in a virtual environment. If there is any other information that would help diagnose this problem, let me know what to provide.

Many thanks.

Complete output from command /home/wappenkunde/venv_hass/bin/python3 -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=’/tmp/pip-build-_e_pq96e/sphinx-automodapi/setup.py’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record /tmp/pip-15mygwg0-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /home/wappenkunde/venv_hass/include/site/python3.4/sphinx-automodapi:
running install
running build
running build_py
creating build
creating build/lib
creating build/lib/sphinx_automodapi
copying sphinx_automodapi/automodsumm.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi
copying sphinx_automodapi/smart_resolver.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi
copying sphinx_automodapi/autodoc_enhancements.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi
copying sphinx_automodapi/utils.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi
copying sphinx_automodapi/init.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi
copying sphinx_automodapi/automodapi.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi
creating build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/test_automodsumm.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/test_automodapi.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/init.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/test_cases.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/test_utils.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests
creating build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests/example_module
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/example_module/functions.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests/example_module
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/example_module/classes.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests/example_module
copying sphinx_automodapi/tests/example_module/init.py -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests/example_module
creating build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/templates
creating build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/templates/autosummary_core
copying sphinx_automodapi/templates/autosummary_core/module.rst -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/templates/autosummary_core
copying sphinx_automodapi/templates/autosummary_core/base.rst -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/templates/autosummary_core
copying sphinx_automodapi/templates/autosummary_core/class.rst -> build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/templates/autosummary_core
creating build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests/cases
creating build/lib/sphinx_automodapi/tests/cases/mixed_toplevel_nodiagram
error: can’t copy ‘sphinx_automodapi/tests/cases/mixed_toplevel_nodiagram/output’: doesn’t exist or not a regular file

----------------------------------------

Command “/home/wappenkunde/venv_hass/bin/python3 -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=’/tmp/pip-build-_e_pq96e/sphinx-automodapi/setup.py’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record /tmp/pip-15mygwg0-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /home/wappenkunde/venv_hass/include/site/python3.4/sphinx-automodapi” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-_e_pq96e/sphinx-automodapi/

sphinx-automodapi had some issues with their glob which caused it to fail. They updated it soon thereafter but they hadn’t yet pushed the update to pypi; I asked them to do so and they did, so your install should succeed.

For the record (or anyone who isn’t getting the update from pip for some reason) the issue was due to oemthermostat and commenting out that requirement would disable the oemthermostat component but allow development to set up correctly.

It worked! Thanks for following up on it. :slight_smile: