Error while adding association

Hello all

I would like to start by thanking you all, what happens here on this forum and how people are helped is really great!

I have a problem, I just cannot get z-wave JS to make an association between my heat-it temp 2 and a double switch from fibaro which controls the pump for my floor heating.

I’ve already tried re-interviewing the modules and restarting HA, but I keep getting the error message that associating doesn’t work. By the way, making other associations works fine.

Would love to hear if anyone knows what I am doing wrong or how to fix this.

Are both devices at the same security level? (None, S2 or S0?)

1 Like

The heat-it is S2 and the fibaro dubble switch is none.

They MUST be at the same security level to form a direct association.

You’ll either have to rejoin the switch or downgrade the thermo to none. Of the thermondoesnt work correctly at None and! The switch can’t do S2, you’ll beed different gear.

Thank you! Now it is possible to make an association!

1 Like

Is this some new restrictions with Z-Wave JS?
I try to associate a Fibaro Dimmer2 (2nd unused switch) to a Neo Coolcam Wall Plug.
The wall plug show up in red with a minus.
The dimmer is yellow with a checkmark.

I did have this association recently and have it between two other sets of dimmer and plug (same models and fw) in another room.
It’s annoying since I just deleted it and now I cannot have it back.

Picture for reference that it should work (in the other room).

I need to rule out if I’m doing something else wrong or if it in fact is a change/security fix that have made it impossible.

It is a Z-Wave specification and certification requirement that some associations are forbidden when nodes support different security classes.

I can’t tell for certain based on the information you’ve provided, but it sounds like that’s the case for these devices.

I don’t think the restriction is “new”. It may be “new to you” though. There was at least one change that might apply and it was released almost a year ago.

The yellow security icon indicates Security S0, which is not generally recommended anyways (and disabled by default for non-security devices), as it has quite a negative impact on the network due to the 3x communication overhead.

The association made is probably more than a year old, luckily it stuck and was’nt revoked. That means it can probaly be forced into place again but might involve alot of work…

I can tell for sure my z-wave network is lagging behind with my 68 devices, didn’t know there was a 3x stream because of S0 which work like crap anyways.

I take you’re saying that the general recommendation would be to remove and readd my one node so it’s at the same security level as my plug?
Most of my nodes (30+) do use S0 so it not a small task. Is there no good way around it?

Z-Wave JS won’t let you, so the only workaround would be to use some other software.

I can tell for sure my z-wave network is lagging behind with my 68 devices, didn’t know there was a 3x stream because of S0 which work like crap anyways.

It’s likely having so many nodes with S0 is a contributor to this. I can’t say for certain it is the cause, or simply a contributor. Z-Wave is a low bandwidth network, so a 3x overhead is pretty severe depending on how active it is.

Right, that would solve your association problem, assuming it’s the security issue. Z-Wave JS will never include a device with S0 unless it is a security device (Lock, Garage Door Opener, etc.) because of the performance implications. You are required to manually enable S0 at inclusion.

Most of my nodes (30+) do use S0 so it not a small task. Is there no good way around it?

Indeed, that is a painful task, because the only option to convert from S0 to no security (or S2) is to re-include the device. The best way to do that without changing the network is to trick Z-Wave JS into believing the device is failed, and then replace failed node without security. To do that you can either:

1. Use a second Z-Wave controller (running PC Controller software or Z-Wave JS UI) to exclude the device, then replace failed node in Z-Wave JS UI. Your main controller will not see the exclusion and will see the device as failed, allowing replacement.
  2. Shutdown Z-Wave JS UI, then factory reset the device so it’s excluded (note that most but not all devices remove themselves from the network when factory reset). Then startup Z-Wave JS UI and replace failed node. Do not factory reset while ZUI is running, otherwise it will remove the node from the network.

Option one is very easy but requires extra hardware, while option two doesn’t need the extra hardware but takes much longer.

This, and the fact that I have 12 Aeotec Sensor 6 reporting whatever they can to the InfluxDB database through Home Assistant. All of them at S0. The 9 phases Home Energy Meters reports like 20 rows per seconds… I’m on the edge of the z-wave bandwidth so I wish I should’ve known the 3x bandwidth issue beforehand. Now I’m kinda stuck…

However…

Thanks for the solution-oriented reply with some constructive options at the end.

I actually thought that the plug was not supporting S0 so I was out of options having to pull one of all my dimmers down to no security.
However, I read in the database the plus is actually Z-Wave Plus so I excluded the it and added it as S0 again.
I recall when adding my bulk of devices in the beginning of Zwave2MQTT many devices had issues with S0, hence I have a number of devices without security.

So, old plug re-added as S0 → Association works → Problem solved.

This may be your biggest problem. You should try tune this if possible to reduce reports. This discusses that and S0 problems: https://zwave-js.github.io/node-zwave-js/#/troubleshooting/network-health?id=optimizing-the-reporting-configuration

Ah, yes I have tuned it close to almost max. I probably have some more room for some more but I’ve been adding more zigbees lately. They’ll be surpassing in the next half year in my home. Zwaves are too expensive at twice the cost.
bild