Error ZW1405

Hi all,

I have newly setup my z-wave network on home assistant.

In individual cases all runs ok - however, as soon as there is a little bit more traffic (triggering actions multiple times within a minute) I receive regularly errors and the z-wave devices will not work anymore.

Error in home assistant log is:
Z-Wave error 1405: The node failed to decode the message (ZW1405)

I am running

• a aeotec z-stick 7
  • Home Assistant OS 8.1 / Home Assistant Core 2022.5.5
  • Fibaro roller shutter 3 FGR-223

Any idea is highly appreciated. I am otherwise thinking about throwing all my fibaros out switching to Shelly.

Thanks a lot in advance!
Rainer

I just got this for first time today when trying to adjust the dimmer on a Zooz 72 light.

Logger: homeassistant.components.websocket_api.http.connection
Source: components/zwave_js/light.py:354 
Integration: Home Assistant WebSocket API (documentation, issues) 
First occurred: 7:55:27 PM (1 occurrences) 
Last logged: 7:55:27 PM

[547157835008] Z-Wave error 1405: The node failed to decode the message. (ZW1405)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/websocket_api/commands.py", line 193, in handle_call_service
    await hass.services.async_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1704, in async_call
    task.result()
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/core.py", line 1741, in _execute_service
    await cast(Callable[[ServiceCall], Awaitable[None]], handler.job.target)(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_component.py", line 204, in handle_service
    await service.entity_service_call(
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 680, in entity_service_call
    future.result()  # pop exception if have
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 964, in async_request_call
    await coro
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/service.py", line 717, in _handle_entity_call
    await result
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/light/__init__.py", line 553, in async_handle_light_on_service
    await light.async_turn_on(**filter_turn_on_params(light, params))
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/light.py", line 293, in async_turn_on
    await self._async_set_brightness(kwargs.get(ATTR_BRIGHTNESS), transition)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/zwave_js/light.py", line 354, in _async_set_brightness
    await self.info.node.async_set_value(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node/__init__.py", line 446, in async_set_value
    result = await self.async_send_command(
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/model/node/__init__.py", line 403, in async_send_command
    result = await self.client.async_send_command(message, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zwave_js_server/client.py", line 103, in async_send_command
    return await future
zwave_js_server.exceptions.FailedZWaveCommand: Z-Wave error 1405: The node failed to decode the message. (ZW1405)

I suspect something changed with zwavejs and core upgrade recently?

This sounds like the node has lost it’s security, try re-interviewing the device.

Thanks

Unfortunately I’m getting an error when interviewing. I submitted a bug request. Nothing changed with my hardware prior to upgrades. Guessing something broke?

Where did you file the bug report? Please link it :slight_smile:

sorry :slight_smile:

this was my bug report: Zwavejs - interviewing Zooz 72 fails · Issue #72872 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

from most recent comment, there could be a pending fix, but I need to capture more log activity to help with debugging

1 Like

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I am having a similar issue with two Zooz ZEN73s

I’m getting this issue after updating today.

I have the same issue with Fibaro roller shutter 3 FGR-223 and ZST39 that sometimes get this error:

• Unable to set value 20-38-2-targetValue : zwave_error: Z-Wave error 1405 - The node failed to decode the message. (ZW1405) or
  • Unable to set value 31-38-2-targetValue : zwave_error: Z-Wave error 202 - Failed to send the command after 5 attempts (ZW0202)

I think it’s a problem with Fibaro modules but when I used that same modules with Fibaro HC3 it works perfect. One lucky that this problem just pops up like 1 time per month because I’ll need go back to Fibaro .