Errors and crashes running HA on VirtualBox on win10 pc

using home assistant on VirtualBox it will just randomly get errors like seen. and then at a random point of time become unresponsive and have to have the VM restarted. i have done a clean install to try and fix this but no dice

“Most” VirtualBox problems arise from the VM running out of memory - like if you allocated it more than was actually available. How much physical memory do you have, and how much have you allocated to the VM? And do you have other VMs running? I think there’s a way to check the VM logs to see if that’s the problem, but can’t remember the specifics.

What version on VirtualBox and HAOS?

Version 6.1.32 r149290 of virtualbox and Home Assistant Core 2022.5.4

this computer has about 16gb of ram and the vm is allocated 4 gb. this pc is also used as a plex server as well.

Similar issues here, switched to VMware, no issues there (you can also use HyperV, it is also very stable and easy to integrate/autostart. But is does not support usb🤔)

I would try build .30 of VirtualBox. Quite a few reports of issues with .32 and .34

Also, some have had success use SATA as the controller in VB

after about 5 days of use, this has seemed to have fixed it. thanks

1 Like

It’s interesting you should post this, as I had a crash (Home Assistant stopped responding) last night sometime around 12:08am.

HomeSeer (yep, I’m using HomeSeer to monitor HomeAssistant… :roll_eyes: ) shut the VM down and restarted it without issue. The unfortunate part; I have no idea why HA crashed.

Samba backup started at 11:30pm so perhaps…

mine is unable to update right now it gets stuck loading some random thing for hours but besides that still no problem

If you can, please create a bug report here, (Or add to mine) so that this issue can be fixed. (sounds like the same issue I’m having with 8.0 and 8.1)