Errors installing home assistant on a debian

If you’re copy and pasting what I wrote, do it all

cat <<EOM creates a here document that ends when it sees EOM as an entire line.

cat <<EOM | sudo tee /docker/docker-compose.yaml
version: '3'
services:
  homeassistant:
    container_name: homeassistant
    image: "ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable"
    volumes:
      - /docker/homeassistant:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    restart: unless-stopped
    privileged: true
    network_mode: host
EOM

results in /docker/docker-compose.yaml being created by root with the contents of

version: '3'
services:
  homeassistant:
    container_name: homeassistant
    image: "ghcr.io/home-assistant/home-assistant:stable"
    volumes:
      - /docker/homeassistant:/config
      - /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro
    restart: unless-stopped
    privileged: true
    network_mode: host

Can I strongly recommend that if you’re going to carry on you take the time to learn a bit about Linux and Docker - or switch plan to use Home Assistant OS

ok, thanks

how do i add it?

also i have a backup that i exported from the ui, how do i add it onto the system?

How are you backing up that computer already?

You can’t, that purely backs up the HA config, it doesn’t back up anything else and is not enough

I don’t back it up

That’s exactly what I expected to hear :wink:

Now is the time to investigate:

And other backup solutions. All of these have advantages and disadvantages, and you need to use the one (or ones) that work for you.

I use rsnapshot for my local network backups, and rclone for my cloud backups. This ensures that I have both local backups I can easily recover from, and remote backups if the worst should happen.

is there a way with these instalation to have a supervised instalation, currently it says that it’s not supervised.

Sure, start over with Home Assistant OS and dedicate the whole Pi to it.

But you said you didn’t want to do that.

i can do it, but i want to be able to install more things on the pi

I suggest you perform the installation instructions exactly as described in the link I posted above. It will install what is missing, skip whatever is installed and is the latest version, and update what is installed but not the latest version.

You want to do more things on your rpi 3b+ with 1GB of RAM? How many more things? Because my odroid n2 I use for dev has HAOS on it, essentially 0 integrations and 1 addon and its currently using 1GB out of the 4GB of RAM it has.

RPi 3 works for HA but isn’t recommended anymore because its a bit underpowered. Not sure what all software you’re planning to run on the side but you might want to rethink that plan.

You’ve got three choices here, two good, and one really terrible:

1. Buy another computer - run HAOS on one, and the other things on the other
  2. Learn Docker
  3. Follow Taras’ advice and use Supervised despite what you want to do being against the requirements and know that you’re going to have problems with a system that’s Unhealthy and/or Unsupported (and so unable to update anything)

i want to have pi-hole and a media service

There was an addon for pi-hole but its been deprecated for some time since the adguard addon is better and easier to use. Of course using an rpi3 with 1gb of RAM (can’t emphasize this enough) for both your home automation server and the DNS server for your LAN seems like a really terrible idea. But if you want to slow performance on your network to a crawl then go for it.

There’s a plex addon? What media service are you referring to?

Although seriously putting this on an rpi3 too is really not going to end well.

ok, i will try getting another raspberry pi for these, do you think the model 4 is enought?

Should be fine for most things. Media server might still be troublesome though. Lots of people struggle to get that plex addon running with good performance to my understanding if that’s the media service you were looking at. I haven’t tried it myself so I can’t speak to that but being a media server is generally a pretty demanding task.

DNS server should be fine though.

ok, thanks

Just a quick heads-up. Not certain what money you are willing to spend on getting another Pi, but you could consider getting a miniPC with enough memory and disk space. Then you can run Proxmox and fill that box up with virtually anything you can throw at it. Once setup, a lot easier to manage than anything else and fully scalable.

For reasonable pricing you could consider:

https://www.bee-link.com
https://www.minisforum.com

I suggest you strongly consider AMD offerings (5900HX or the new 6900HX) which support up to 16 vCPU and add 32/64 GB RAM plus 2/4 TB NVMe SSD. These platforms are super stable and will provide years of tech joy.

If not familiar with the above you could consult my blog posts or the plentiful alternative Internet resources.

2 Likes