ESP-32 H2/C6 Zigbee

hi, i’m quite new to the game :wave:

i want to create my own sensors and integrate it in my homeassistant. But the position where they’re going to be located isn’t covered by my wifi (so esphome isn’t a option). instead the position is covered by the network of my brother in law ( who also has hoa running with a SM light SLZB-06 coordinator) so i could get the zigbee devices over that via the VPN function. so i read the ESP32 H2/C6 have the zigbee possibility. But everything i find about the zigbee end device example ist only to a zigbee h2 or c6 as a coordinator.

Is there no possibility to configure the esp as an end device and then connect to a SLZB-06 or sonoff stick?

thank you all in advanced and sorry for the long story :face_with_head_bandage:

3 Likes
  1. Switch your SLZB-06 to Matter-over-Thread mode
  2. Create your Matter-over-Thread end-device on ESP32-S3 with no code knowledges based on newly released ESP IDF
  3. Use it on your remote lication.

Here is Espressif zerocode Matter Over Thread tool https://zerocode.espressif.com/

It might not be that simple b cause Matter has a strict device structure, so the sensor needs to be able to fit into that to be Matter compatible.

The original idea with a C6/H2 as zigbee end device is valid though. It is actually what the C6 was designed for. The other features just came after the release.
H2 started also as a Zigbee device, but already in the design process it was changed to a Matter device. A C6 can be set up to run as a Matter device too and a H2 can also be set up as a Zigbee device.

ESPHome does not support these models though, so you will have to find the code to do it else where.

Not a direct reply to your question but on the matter of adding a new device, please see my post at Seeed Xiao ESP32S3 Sense board name not recognised - #10 by AussieSusan where I mention the files that need to be copied/edited/etc.
No guarantee but it certainly got my ESP32-S3 working.
Susan

Hi, my simple GitHub - DmytroML/ESP36C6_Zigbee_PZEM-004t. You can use it as an example.