ESP Somfy RTS Integration

it was the inverted pins right there. Not sure how it even managed to retrieve the logs. Thanks, i was starting to think of soldering buttons and using the GPIO method, you’re a godsend!

Glad you got it working and just so you can sleep at night I will solve the riddle as to how you got receive logs.

The receive mode on the CC1101 is a bit of a wild child. It always receives on both GDO0 (pin3) and GDO2 (pin8) at the same time but will never transmit from any other pin than GDO0 (pin3). So the RX pin can be wrong and still receive but the TX pin will never send if it is not properly connected. While it is goofy, it allows you to send and receive without connecting/using GDO2 (pin8) at all so long as the correct pin GDO0 (pin3) is being pulsed and the radio is in the correct mode.

go figure, makes it way harder to figure out why it’s not working. If it was not communicating i would have guessed it eventually. Is this in the guide? i don’t think i read about this anywhere

Yeah it is in the docs but it is maybe a forest and tree scenario.

1 Like

Hi, I just succeeded adding one of my shades with EPsSomfy in HA but now the original remote does not work anymore.
Did I miss someting ?

If the original remote no longer works then there are a few possibilities.

First, did you change the address for the shade to the same address as the remote? If you did then this is the problem. Addresses must be unique for all remotes. While there are other radio solutions out there that require using the address from another remote, it will always result in having to abandon the original remote.

Try using the remote many times to see if the rolling code catches up without using ESPSomfy RTS. If it does not then you will need to factory reset the shade motor and start over. Do not use the same address for ESPSomfy RTS as any remote. Use the pairing function to pair your ESPSomfy RTS shades instead.

The next thing to check is whether the remote is actually transmitting. If it is then you should see frames from it in the radio log when you press the button. If you do not see any responses then perhaps you may need to replace the batteries in the remote.

If the motor is not moving and you are seeing traffic from the original remote in ESPSomfy RTS then at some point the motor abandoned the address because the rolling code is not correct. Factory reset the motor.

Thanks a lot, you were right, I used the same adress as the existing remote.
After changing the address and doing a reset of the motor, it works like a charm.

Hi, I’m using this integration for a few years now and lately I experience some “unresponsiveness” from Home Assistant each time I operate my covers or shades. For example when I close the covers upstairs Home Assistant does not respond to Zigbee switches and sensors for the lights etc. for some 10-20 seconds.

Has anyone have the same experience?

Are you seeing anything in the HA logs related to this? Are you possibly getting WiFi and Zigbee interference?

Hey rstrouse, thanks for responding! I’ve tried to find these logs but don’t know how to monitor incoming events. However Zigbee is just an example. While the covers are in motion I cannot use HA at all. Only after a few seconds it becomes responsive again. Weird thing is that when operating the awning there is no problem and I can see the percentages changing while it’s moving, not so with the covers. Only the covers are part of groups in ESPSomfyRTS. I have groups for “All covers”, “Front covers” & “rear covers”. Is it possible that if you activate an item in a group, events are generated for that item and all the groups it is a member off and that this overflows HA?

I have the same experience! But it’s not always happening, just sometimes.

Is it possible that if you activate an item in a group, events are generated for that item and all the groups it is a member off and that this overflows HA?

Yes entity groups in HA bubble the events through every member and every group when there is a motor involved. This is just how groups operate in HA. However, that is not really a complex operation and shouldn’t cause HA to pause in any way. Do you by chance have other automations connected to covers?

Yes I have automations that control the covers based on time and twilight. But there is no automation based on the status of the covers.
I’m using a HA Yellow with a Raspberry Pi and 8GB of memory. Should be enough no?
When you say “This is how groups operate in HA” you do mean this right:

Yes that is what I mean but internally in HA the group entity does a whole lot of things behind the scenes where is notifies all of its members. While ESPSomfy RTS manages the radio and treats these groups as a single entity, HA does other things with it.

I’ll have to see if there is anything that it may be doing that impacts the load. But I would assume that you should be able to see a spike of CPU if it is overloading the the yellow.

Thank you for the explanation. I was monitoring the CPU with Htop at the shell level and notices that all 4 cores fired up to 80% when activating a cover or group.
I will delete the 3 groups and check again. Maybe I’ll create these cover-groups in HA.

I removed all groups in ESPSomfyRTS and when I activate 1 cover from HA all is well and the open percentage is following nicely. However when I activate another while the first is still moving HA starts to freeze up until all movement stops. Creating a group in HA with more than one cover has the same result. I’m puzzled. Any suggestions?

I too am puzzled as I see nearly no impact when I load up my 32 shade group. Which version of HA are you running? This is using the HA integration and not MQTT is that correct?

HA is the latest version 2024.8.2. and I’m not using MQTT (anymore).
Strange thing happened yesterday. I removed all groups leaving only the 4 covers and 1 awning. Then I created a new group from scratch and without adding a single member it controlled 3 of the 4 covers :face_with_spiral_eyes:
I’m suspecting that the memory of the covers is completely messed up and I should do a full reset of each cover motor. However this is a pain as they are all on the same power circuit and cannot individually switched on or off.

All you need to do is remove them from the group and it will clear up the memory. But that shouldn’t have anything to do with HA going sluggish.

Out of curiosity are you running HomeKit, HomeBridge, Grafana, or any other graphing solution? Have you checked the HA logs to see if there is anything in there that may indicate what it is doing.