ESP Somfy RTS Integration

ok, I feel like a complete idiot. Your instructions are clear and concise, and friendly, which really encouraged me to attempt my first ever ESP32 project! Thanks so much for putting this project together and sharing.

So after getting it all wired up and firmware installed, I’m not getting any response from the radio.

My remote is a Somfy SITUO 1 RTS Pure. I have the following hardware:

Looks like the transceiver is the same as yours. My ESP32 board is not quite the same as yours, although I followed your wiring instructions for ESP-WROOM-32, except for GDO0 and GDO2 where I used IO33 and IO35 instead of GPIO13 and GPIO12 as my board does not have a GPIO 12 or GPIO 13.

Now when I try to scan a frequency there is no response when I press the remote, and nothing in the logs. I have double and triple checked the wiring, even started over completely, and also swapped RX and TX just in case I’m understanding it backwards. But still, all I get is a whole lot of nothing. EDIT: I just noticed when I change the default values of TX and RX and then “Save Radio”, when I reload the page in the browser, they will always reset back to default GPIO-12 and GPIO-13.

Can you (or anyone actually) spot what I’m missing or make any suggestions how to troubleshoot this thing?

“All you need to do is remove them from the group and it will clear up the memory”, that’s what I thought. You can’t even remove a group without first deleten all it’s members right? Still, after all groups were removed I created the “all_covers” group again and without adding a single member it controlled 3 of the 4 covers ?!? Weird right?
I am running HomeKit but no HomeBridge or Grafana:

homekit integration
homekit:

• filter:
    include_domains:
    - cover
    - climate
    - switch

The logs don’t tell me much in that regard.
Still I’m going to clear all motor memory, restart from scratch and see where that takes me. Very much appreciate your help so far and for the great product!!

Have you got this sorted out? I have bought similar esp32 board, awaiting its delivery. Can you share the connection/pin mapping that you have followed so we can have a look? This link got additional details about the pins and their functions so you may check with your connections and confirm.

Nope. I’ve just rebuilt and flashed it again, using another (same) board and another set of wires. I don’t have a spare transceiver, but I’m assuming that works, at least for now. I probably need to replace it if nothing else can solve this issue tho.

The board you linked is exactly the same as mine - same pin names, etc.

I used the pin mapping as stated here, except for pins 3 and 8 on the transceiver went to alternate pins because there are no GPIO 12 and GPIO 13 on this board for reasons I don’t understand. Supposedly this shouldn’t matter because in the software you can configure other IO ports although, as I mentioned before, I found that setting different ports doesn’t seem to stick. I tried several alternate pin mappings for those two but none of them made any difference.

Best of luck. I’ll post here if I do manage to get mine working.

I checked the link on what you said was your ESP32 board. However, that is an ESP8266 by its description not an ESP32.

I presume the pics are of your board and that is an ESP32. Please open an issue on the GitHub and take some pics of your wiring. If the radio not initialized message does not go away then the SPI pins on the top row of the configuration are not correct. This is simply a matter of finding the right pins to be used for the SPI interface.

That product page is very confusing and lists several different items. The board I purchased is the ESP32 as you saw in my photos.

I don’t know how to use github, and I don’t know what a SPI pin is. Well, to be honest, the last time I did any hardware hacking was back in the 1980s.

I’ll be purchasing a different make of ESP32 board today and this time ensure it has all the same named pins as in your tutorial so that hopefully nothing can go wrong.

In the meantime I’ll persist with randomly swapping wires around and try to get this other board working.

EDIT:

Ok, progress. I kept swapping wires around until I got the “Radio Not Initialized” message to go away, and a new blue light has appeared on the ESP32 board, I presume that means it can talk to the transceiver now.

Problem now is it still won’t listen to the remote. Nothing appears in the logs when tuning the transceiver frequency, and when pairing a shade (PROG) it also does not respond.

Sometimes while tuning, or after changing the IO dropdowns and clicking “Enable Radio”, the ESP32 web interface appears to stop responding until the device is rebooted, not sure if that is related to anything. BTW, the dropdowns regularly, but not predictably, forget my custom IO settings - they will revert to your defaults instead.

Any ideas what I should try to troubleshoot next?

Go to the url below and submit an issue. This is most likely related to which pins you have connected between the transceiver and the ESP32. This is simply a matter of going one pin at a time through the connections then making sure that each pin you have identified is selected in the setup.

The reason I want you to create an issue in GitHub is because the rules of this site state that the moderators want issues related to items not specific to HA to be submitted elsewhere. And to be honest this site is not great at creating an issue and working through resolution. All of the topics end up jumbled together.

@ rstrouse, GPIO12 and GPIO13 are HSPI_MISO and HSPI_MOSI of the esp board? I could not find HSPI in this esp32 board. Are there any other reference that we can find those pins? Could you please suggest?

Problem resolved! I didn’t submit an issue with github, instead I got another ESP32 board, this time the same model as yours. It literally worked immediately.

Thanks again for your patience and support, and thanks again for creating this integration!

Awesome, glad you are up and running.

Hi @rstrouse, good news! I finally found the culprit. It turns out that I have NSPanel installed on which I have configured a button page for the covers and groups. Removing this page solved the “unresponsiveness” problem. Also I have completely reconfigured all my covers from scratch (using a full reset) which solved the weird behavior when setting up groups. Old cover codes must have existed in the cover memory. Thanks for your support and for the amazing project!!

Ahah! I’ll bet that led to a chain of constant infighting on what the actual group position was. Some motors are more stubborn than others in releasing their addresses. It is important to unpair and pair ESPSomfy RTS and remotes from the motor. Otherwise you are destined for a reset and starting over.

1 Like

I’ve got past the “radio not init” stage (thanks cc1101 pinouts) but now can not pickup the remote on a scan. It’s a dd2702h (which is why I’m here - it wont talk to a RM4pro). Am I in the same boat with ESPsomfy and a cc1101?

I went looking for information on that protocol but I can’t find much on it. I don’t believe the protocol for that remote is supported.