ESP32-Audio-Kit (ESP32-A1S) with Squeezelite for Notifications

As I know esp32s not yet supported. but I think that soon they will add and your board is very good. df player and esp32 I use it quite successfully. you can see on the photo

2 Likes

Yes it is.

Digressing, but I just plug a cheapo bluetooth speaker with line-in to the line-out of one of my RPI’s.
Seem economical and probably simple on HAOS (managing my RPI myself, so a tad more tricky).

Just wondering who might do those complains :thinking:

I agree that there is still no solution for a smart speaker for a home assistant… I would really like to have their components and program code esphome could assemble the speaker smart

check this:

Have the same board and flashed it with Squeezelite and control it with LMS

GitHub - sle118/squeezelite-esp32: squeezelite ported to esp32.

1 Like

I was just coming to add that!

Thanks. This sounds like a good possible solution.

Just to clarify, assuming that by “same board” you meant the ESP32 Audio Kit (and not the Wemos D1 Mini)? Guessing so since it’s Squeezelite for ESP32, but figured I’d confirm before I dive in.

His link points to it implemented on the board you were proposing :slight_smile:

I’m also a new owner of the ESP32 Audio Kit (i ordered just for fun). I wait untill someone have a good guide (I prefer with esphome or/and stream sound?).

Just received the ESP32-Audio-Kit. I ordered it after this post clued me in on there existence. And it peeked my interest.

Some good guides for the board:
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?116009-Squeezelite-esp32-on-ESP32-Audio-Kit-v2-2-Rotary-Encoder-SSD1322-Screen-2-keys
And

After reading both guides. I had the board up and running in 10 min’s

Hope it helps.

3 Likes

When using Squeezelite on these ESP32 Audio Kits, does it show up as a media device in home assistant? I’m looking for a easy way to create a local speaker that can play the Nabu Casa TTS. Seems like they might include it in ESPHome at some point but until then I would like to find another solution.

I haven’t gotten that far yet.
However the LMS addon (GitHub - pssc/ha-addon-lms: Logitech Media Server Addon for Home Assistant) and the esp32 plugin for LMS do see the audio kit as a player. So…

Next weekend I’ll have time to play with the Squeezelite addon. (GitHub - pssc/ha-addon-squeezelite: Squeezelite Player Addon for Home Assistant, for use with a Logitech Media Server)

On a side note. After browsing the Esphome git repository, there appears to be positive movement on the audio front.

Edit: I happened upon a 3d printable encloser for the board. (GitHub - thomaspreece/ESP32-A1S_Squeezebox_Case: A 3D printable case for an ESP-A1S running Squeezebox)

squeezelite devices appear as media players in HA. See Logitech Squeezebox - Home Assistant

Will I only need the Squeezelite firmware for the ESP32 and then the Home Assistant Squeezebox integration? I wasn’t sure if the Logitech Media Server was also needed.

Reading this Home assistant community addons : Logitech Media Server (lms) & Squeezelite Leads me to believe yes,a lms server is needed on your network. Be it from the LMS ( ̶h̶a̶s̶s̶.̶i̶o̶ ) HassOS (still forget the proper name) addon or from a LMS server setup elsewhere on your network.

1 Like

That’s right.

1 Like

It’s real easy to have notifications with the ESP32 audio kit!

1. Setup a LMS server ether by the experimental addon (it works well) or somewhere on your network. I ultimately choose to install LMS on my media server.

2. Then install the squeezelite-esp32 firmware (GitHub - sle118/squeezelite-esp32: ESP32 Music streaming based on Squeezelite, with support for multi-room sync, AirPlay, Bluetooth, Hardware buttons, display and more) and with the help of the howto links in the post above for the firmware on the Audio kit.
    And there is is another (long) thread that has good nuggets of knowledge if you dig through it. And ask for help in that thread if needed. (ANNOUNCE: Squeezelite-ESP32 (dedicated thread))

3. After you have LMS up and running and the Audio kit flashed, log in to LMS and you should be able to use the Audio kit as a player by looking for it in the upper right of the LMS server page and choosing it in the drop down box:
    lms-1
    I named my kit Testbox =)

4.Then add the Logitech Squeezebox integration to Hass. It maybe discovered all ready for you. If not, you will need to add it by hand via the:
intagtion2

Once added you you should see something like this within the Squeezebox integration :
lms-int

1. Make sure you have ether:
    default_config: or media_source:
    in your config.yaml. If it is you should be able to use Hass’s media browser to view your media collection.

2. Now lets say you have a button/device named “doorbell” and a .mp3 clip named “doorbell ring chime.mp3” in your LMS media collection. You can create an automation like:

Your done! Easy as that.

My first attempt at a tutorial. So is rough on the edges.
Hope it’s of help

4 Likes

Good work, but 1. and 3. are the same. (It may confuse some)

Also I think most of us still appreciate the yaml versions of autmomations.

But your automation is easy to implement from your instructions.