ESP32 Bluetooth proxy multiple instances

I have an odd use case. I have an ESP32 setup as a Bluetooth proxy with a Switchbot lock, it works great. I just brought up a second instance of home assistant, so I copied my proxmox VM and brought it up again on a second server. It also connected to the same ESP32 but the lock fails on that one. I thought the pairing would have been on the ESP32 and since I connect to that over the network I assumed it would work on both instances of Home Assistant, what am I missing here?

Unless you installed a Switchbot driver on the ESP, the. pairing happens in the HA instance. That is what a bluetooth proxy does. It just extends bluetooth range over wifi.

As far as I know you cannot link one esp to two home assistant instances. You can have two esp’s near the lock, one per HA instance, both relaying the same messages to HA. It is not likely the Switch ot lock can pair with multiple devices at the same time though. Passive listening would work on both HA, but multiple active connections is less likely to work.

The question is: why would you want to?

Correct, BT proxying can be linked only to one HA instance, it’s the same as direct BT/BLE connection: only one is allowed at the time.

This makes sense, I will delete from one and just setup on the new one. I am switching my proxmox server is all, upgraded it, so this was just a short window when both instances are running. I’m just getting all my things working and tested and then plan to switch over the DNS and be all on the new instance and the bluetooth/switchbot were the only things not working when I brought up the new instance.

now I’m wondering if I power down the other instance and reboot the new one if it just works, will give that a test, wonder if it’s not working because the first one had the connection

yep, that worked, powered down the original instance, rebooted the new one, all is connected and working! I guess it worked with whichever one connected first