ESP32 Cam - working!

What missing IR Led? It never said it had one, so it is hardly missing.

I presume he meant to say “an infrared LED that would be nice to have for this module to be almost perfect” :wink:

Its missing for me :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly I do have cam in which everything works except the LED), and I don’t use it. Artificial light does not give sufficient light for the image, and of course at night, and in cloudy days, the image is unusable.

To me a cam that is not working when is dark is of very limited use. If you need a cam only during full daylight, then of course you will not “miss” it.

probably you are right, maybe somebody who has it can make some test

Does anyone know if it is or will be possible to use this camera for face recognition with ESPHome?

If you feed the picture to your face recognition component, it should work.

I have seen that it looks like it can be done locally on the device:
https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp32-cam-video-streaming-face-recognition-arduino-ide/

Yes but that is not Esphome.

@daveyrb could you please share the config you used for this board? Thanks.

Sure this is it:

esphome:
  name: test_camera
  platform: ESP32
  board: m5stack-core-esp32

wifi:
  ssid: "redacted"
  password: "redacted"
  manual_ip:
    # Set this to the IP of the ESP
    static_ip: 192.168.0.226
    # Set this to the IP address of the router. Often ends with .1
    gateway: 192.168.0.1
    # The subnet of the network. 255.255.255.0 works for most home networks.
    subnet: 255.255.255.0

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:

ota:

esp32_camera:
  external_clock:
    pin: GPIO27
    frequency: 20MHz
  i2c_pins:
    sda: GPIO25
    scl: GPIO23
  data_pins: [GPIO17, GPIO35, GPIO34, GPIO5, GPIO39, GPIO18, GPIO36, GPIO19]
  vsync_pin: GPIO22
  href_pin: GPIO26
  pixel_clock_pin: GPIO21
  reset_pin: GPIO15
  name: test_camera
  max_framerate: 8 fps
  idle_framerate: 0 fps
3 Likes

Fantastic - thank you!

An external antenna boosted the wifi signal to -26dB. This one Trade Me

1 Like

@nickrout
what is the difference between esp32cam and the ai tinker one? is pir motion sensor on either of them? and did you use esphome to set it up?

If it doesn’t have a pir, it shouldn’t be hard to add one. It’s an esp32 after all.

Not sure which modules you are asking me to compare. All esp32’s with a camera combo that I have seen consist of an esp32 and an ov2640 camera.

I am using esphome. I thought that was clear from posting in the esphome subforum.

you were going on about ai tinker hence why I asked because on my esp32cam there is no where written ai tinker…

Oh OK. Neither does mine, but it physically looks like an ai-thinker. @OttoWinter suggested using the ai-thinker setup, and that worked.

Often the aliexpress listings show the esp32 pin numbers that the ov2640 pins are connected to. These connections seem to be the main structural difference between various models.

As usual the aliexpress listings range from confusing to helpful to misleading. Good luck.

2 Likes

Just posted the issue on the ESPHome issue tracker.

Didn’t know that, Thanks @gijsje

please share me esphome configuration of this board. Thanks in advance!