ESP32 pin remapping?

Just wondering if its possible to remap the GPIO pins on a ESP32 dev board?

I have one or two pins I would ideally like to move and remap to different physical locations.

Thanks!

Yes, mapping is all done in software.

Can you please explain what software i would use? I’ve never gone this deep with a ESP32 before.

Regards

I guess the question is more what is already running on your esp32 - because that is supposedly what you want to change/re-configure?

The *ware I use is esphome.

The issue I have is I build these little ESP32 8 output relay boards, but 1 of the pins cannot be used as it cannot be high on boot or the ESP cannot be flashed.

So I want to move a GPIO that can be used and does not need to be high on boot to that pin, and move the pin that needs to be LOW on boot to a location that will not be connected.

Thanks

So just to clarify, I want to move the pin on the PCB dev breakout board to a differnt location on the IC.

The hardware characteristics of each pin are fixed (e.g. only some pins have configuration pull-ups, programming pins prevent boot) but within these limits, you can map your use of a GPIO to any function in software.

It sounds like you need a soldered wire, rather than a config change!

If this helps, :heart: this post!

Or you could use a PCF8574 I2C gpio extender that way you keep lots of pins free and no startup highs.

Yes - many of the generic ESP12 / ESP32 boards available (typically >=8 relays) have GPIO expander chips for I2C/ serial / bit shifting.

Sadly, one recent Amazon purchase had an unmarked uP that had not been programmed at the factory! Searches suggest this is not an isolated incident so dedicated port expander ICs may be a better choice (than a generic PIC copy). Programming the ESP12F was easy - the no-name uP was just landfill :frowning:

Yes true, many of the 4 or 8 relay cards do have this unmarked integrated circuit placed between the ESP and the relays. I had a few of those too, my solution was de-solder the unknown IC landfill indeed and put a PCF in between then these boards worked too :slight_smile:
All left to do then is reprogram the ESP onboard and all is good to go.

Thats whats im doing at the moment and its working, just soldering a jumper to a different GPIO