ESP32 S3 Box3

Yes, thats the difference indeed!

Hello,
i read that the S3 Box has BT integrated. Is this BT still available to controll via Home Assistant? Because now i had a S3-Box-Lite but the Speakers are really terrible. If we can use the BT i would link the Audio from the S3 to the external Speaker and would only use the MIC inside the S3-Box-3.

Is this possilbe?

Has anyone had any luck getting the IR transmitter / reciever to work?

I think that requires the I2C bus which, at the moment, has conflicts with sound (mic & speaker).

But I’m curious as to what use case you would have for it @nisse1.

@tkzger from I²S Audio Speaker — ESPHome

Warning
Audio and voice components consume a significant amount of resources (RAM, CPU) on the device.
Crashes are likely to occur if you include too many additional components in your device’s configuration. In particular, Bluetooth/BLE components are known to cause issues when used in combination with Voice Assistant and/or other audio components.

ah okay i didnt know this, but the actual bad speakers arent a good solutions too. like that it will never replace a alexa or google speaker assistant.

Agree. Speaker performance is the weakest point of this box.

1 Like

found this. really nice project

1 Like

At the beginning of December, I tried to get audio feedback from my Box 3. It would play one sound after wake work detection and another sound after I gave the command, but before processing the command. That way I would not need to be looking at the Box 3 to know if it detected my wake word and I would not need to look at the Box 3 to know it was no longer listening to me. It mostly works except the sound after wake work detection plays at the wrong time. Both sounds play after I give the command.

I wrote ESP32-S3-Box-3 voice assistant: sound is delayed when playing sound during wake word trigger · Issue #5207 · esphome/issues · GitHub to track the issue. If you are interested in this functionality, check out the details in the issue and add a comment. In the issue description is a link to all of the YAML files.

Very nice, unfortunately you can only order these in quantities of 5. Anyone in Netherlands who would want to jointly order?

@m4v3r1ck if you replace this in your yaml, that should give you a good 0-100% range for your battery

- platform: copy
    source_id: battery_voltage
    name: "Battery level"
    unit_of_measurement: "%"
    accuracy_decimals: 1
    device_class: "battery"
    entity_category: "diagnostic"
    filters:
      - lambda: return (x - 3.1) / (4.14 - 3.1) * 100;
      - clamp:
          min_value: 0
          max_value: 100
          ignore_out_of_range: true

I have changed the - lambda line.

2 Likes

Thanks! Apologies for my late reply.

Performing a new drain & load sequence for the battery.

Keep you posted. :smiley:

2 Likes

Updated values for the new code:

The battery gets drained quite fast tbh.

Anybody else having similar numbers?

Would like to know - curiosity - what the total power draw for the specific components of the BOX3 are.

Will do another test - for the sake of science :wink: - without any presents detections / voice assists.

Ya, right after Mic performance, processing power and ya well usability.

I find my, rather old and degraded, battery lasts about 20-24 hours. But that is with radar auto muting turned on so the backlight and mic processing are off when I’m not around.

Hello!

For those with the ESP32-S3-BOX-3 and are using wakeword with HAOS running RPi4, is your HAOS CPU elevated or does the ESP32-S3-BOX-3 take the brunt of for the wakeword?

I notice with happens with the atom5 echo but figure because that cant really process much so im hoping its not the case with the ESP32-S3-BOX-3

thanks

1 Like

For the all ESP based Voice Assistants the wake word detection is done on the server (HA), not the device. It’s currently only the RPi based Satellites that do in-device wake word detection.

So to answer your question, the result will be the same.

1 Like

Hi,

Now, after the help of this community almost everything is working perfectly (voice assistant, radar, temp sensors etc.). I have only one question, in the box there is a separated sensor (small square with 4 pins). Is this some kind of temp sensor or something else?

Thank you
L:

1 Like

You have the temp and the voice correctly working at the same time ?

I wonder If you guys can help me?

After trying for ages to get hold of a box 3, I’ve finally got 2. :grinning:

I’ve installed the firmware via ESP32-S3-BOX voice assistant - Home Assistant (Box 3).
All works well and as It should, but then I wanted too add the code in this thread to make use of the radar etc and this is where I have problems.

If I try to look at the logs then I get this…

INFO ESPHome 2023.12.9
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928.yaml…
INFO Updating https://github.com/esphome/esphome.git@pull/5230/head
WARNING GPIO0 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
Attaching external pullup/down resistors to strapping pins can cause unexpected failures.
See Frequently Asked Questions — ESPHome
INFO Starting log output from 192.168.1.16 using esphome API
INFO Successfully connected to esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16 in 0.658s
WARNING esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16: Connection error occurred: esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16: The connection dropped immediately after encrypted hello; Try enabling encryption on the device or turning off encryption on the client (ESPHome Logs 2023.12.9).
WARNING Can’t connect to ESPHome API for esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16: Error while finishing connection: Finishing connection cancelled due to fatal exception: esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16: The connection dropped immediately after encrypted hello; Try enabling encryption on the device or turning off encryption on the client (ESPHome Logs 2023.12.9). (HandshakeAPIError)
INFO Trying to connect to esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16 in the background
INFO Successfully connected to esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16 in 0.433s
WARNING esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16: Connection error occurred: esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928 @ 192.168.1.16: The connection dropped immediately after encrypted hello; Try enabling encryption on the device or turning off encryption on the client (ESPHome Logs 2023.12.9).

If I try to Install the updated yaml, then I get this…

INFO ESPHome 2023.12.9
INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/esp32-s3-box-3-5aa928.yaml…
INFO Updating https://github.com/esphome/esphome.git@pull/5230/head
WARNING GPIO0 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
Attaching external pullup/down resistors to strapping pins can cause unexpected failures.
See Frequently Asked Questions — ESPHome
INFO Generating C++ source…
ERROR Could not find auto generated code begin in file, either delete the main sketch file or insert the comment again.

Any clues or pointers very welcome.