ESP32 S3 Box3

I’m in your boat, but with English! I can’t get my ESP32 S3 Box 3s to do timers either :frowning:

Yes timers are now available on the esp32-S2-box in any language. I use it in Dutch anyway. You have to update your ESP firmware. However I noticed that you have to be very clear in the syntax. On the display of the box you can see the phrase that it understood

This works in English
“Create a timer for 5 minutes”

In Dutch it become
Maak timer voor 5 minuten

However this isn’t in Dutch (which are correct sentences)
Maak een timer voor 5 minuten
Maak een timer over 5 minuten

As a matter of fact it isn’t exclusively available for the box only but also for diy versions of the voice assistant. I get my own version working and I am now testing to see if it stays stable after a timer is finished,

The update link it here
https://www.home-assistant.io/voice_control/s3_box_voice_assistant/#updating-the-software-on-the-s3-box

1 Like

I’m trying to add temprature sensor from homeassistant like this:

sensor:
  - platform: homeassistant
    id: current_temperature
    entity_id: climate.ac
    attribute: current_temperature

But it fails with following error:

HARDWARE: ESP32S3 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 16MB Flash
 - framework-espidf @ 3.40407.240606 (4.4.7) 
 - tool-cmake @ 3.16.4 
 - tool-ninja @ 1.7.1 
 - toolchain-esp32ulp @ 2.35.0-20220830 
 - toolchain-riscv32-esp @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch5 
 - toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3 @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch5
Reading CMake configuration...
Dependency Graph
|-- ESPMicroSpeechFeatures @ 1.0.0
Compiling .pioenvs/esp32-s3box-3/src/main.o
Linking .pioenvs/esp32-s3box-3/firmware.elf
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32s3-elf/bin/ld: missing --end-group; added as last command line option
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32s3-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-s3box-3/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0x200): undefined reference to `vtable for esphome::homeassistant::HomeassistantSensor'
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32s3/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32s3-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32s3-elf/bin/ld: .pioenvs/esp32-s3box-3/src/main.o:(.literal._Z5setupv+0x204): undefined reference to `vtable for esphome::homeassistant::HomeassistantSensor'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
*** [.pioenvs/esp32-s3box-3/firmware.elf] Error 1
========================= [FAILED] Took 75.01 seconds =========================

Anybody can help?

Often this will help, not sure it will fix your problem.
Have you tried to clean the build files first before compiling

Oh wow, it seems to be similarly picky in German. Just tested again after your post: “Erstelle EINEN Timer für x Minuten” would not work while “Erstelle Timer für x Minuten” finally yielded the desired outcome. That definitely needs a bit more flexibility in the invocations for future versions. Thanks for the hint.

Tried as well, didn’t help

Adding the build flags solved it:

esphome:
  platformio_options:
    build_flags: 
      - "-Wl,--start-group"
      - "-Wl,--end-group"

Is anyone having issues getting an updated config uploaded to their Box 3? I have been searching for a solution for a few weeks now, and there are a LOT of suggested fixes out there but none of them seem to work. Anytime I try to update my Box 3, I get the following.

INFO ESPHome 2024.7.2
INFO Reading configuration /config/esp32-s3-box-3-5acae4.yaml...
INFO Updating https://github.com/esphome/esphome.git@pull/5230/head
INFO Updating https://github.com/jesserockz/esphome-components.git@None
WARNING GPIO0 is a strapping PIN and should only be used for I/O with care.
Attaching external pullup/down resistors to strapping pins can cause unexpected failures.
See https://esphome.io/guides/faq.html#why-am-i-getting-a-warning-about-strapping-pins
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Updating https://github.com/jesserockz/esp32-s3-box-3-board.git@main
INFO Updating https://github.com/espressif/[email protected]
INFO Updating submodules (components/esp-sr, components/esp-adf-libs) for https://github.com/espressif/[email protected]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/esphome", line 8, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
             ^^^^^^
  File "/esphome/esphome/__main__.py", line 1080, in main
    return run_esphome(sys.argv)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/esphome/esphome/__main__.py", line 1067, in run_esphome
    rc = POST_CONFIG_ACTIONS[args.command](args, config)
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/esphome/esphome/__main__.py", line 484, in command_run
    exit_code = write_cpp(config)
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/esphome/esphome/__main__.py", line 194, in write_cpp
    return write_cpp_file()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/esphome/esphome/__main__.py", line 212, in write_cpp_file
    writer.write_cpp(code_s)
  File "/esphome/esphome/writer.py", line 344, in write_cpp
    copy_src_tree()
  File "/esphome/esphome/writer.py", line 297, in copy_src_tree
    copy_files()
  File "/esphome/esphome/components/esp32/__init__.py", line 684, in copy_files
    repo_dir, _ = git.clone_or_update(
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/esphome/esphome/git.py", line 111, in clone_or_update
    run_git_command(
  File "/esphome/esphome/git.py", line 31, in run_git_command
    raise cv.Invalid(lines[-1][len("fatal: ") :])
voluptuous.error.Invalid: Unable to find current revision in submodule path 'components/esp-adf-libs'

If you have a solution that worked for you, I would love to hear it!! I am running ESPhome in a docker container on a system with 32G of RAM and running Ubuntu 24.04.

Anyone else where Firmware 24.8.1 took out their Box3s? Maybe just a word of warning to wait with the update.

EDIT: Reflashing via USB/WebSerial seems to have remedied the problem and all my boxes are working again.

Of what exactly? ESPhome August release isn’t even in Beta yet…

The “firmware” version that is mentioned on the device page under “hardware”, so different from the ESPHome version. Previous one was 24.7.17.1 and I was prompted today to update it. So I did (with the occasional and mentioned hiccups).

As in this one within the ESPhome devices page?

Mine is running the latest version (2024.7.3) of ESPhome… I literally updated it a few hours ago.

grafik

Don’t know why yours show Hardware 2.0

Mine is not the ‘box3’ variant, just the original ESP32 S3 Box so maybe that’s it.

But to clear up your previous post, you are actually on Firmware 2024.7.3, not 24.8.1 As you say (and show) that’s some sort of Hardware value…

Yeah, I see how that might be confusing some but the average guy/girl lurking here is probably familiar with the ESPHome versioning nomenclature by now. To add to the confusion, at least in German, both ESPHome and Hardware version are referred to as “firmware” in the update sensors on the device page. So I merely coopted the devs’ wording.

Are you updating using ESPhome console in HA.
and
Does HA crash when you are trying to install the update?

I run ESPhome in a docker container on a separate machine from HA and it is up to date. It does not crash when I attempt am update.

After updating to 24.8.1 my ESP32-S3-bos3 isn’t working correctly anymore. I don’t have anything on the display anymore. I can switch the backlight off and on again. The box isn’t responding anymore on the wake word. I did several retries and reboots but no success. Then I tried installing the Voice assistant version of BigBobbas and there the display showed up again.
Tried to reinstall the original version back again but i can’t get the screen back to life again. Anyone else struggling with this behaviour?

I use bigbobbas without any trouble.

Yes, me too.
But I said that the ‘original’ yaml don’t work anymore.
The one found here ESP32-S3-BOX voice assistant - Home Assistant