ESP32Thing ERROR Error resolving IP address (installing config)

So I have an esp32Thing connected to my WiFi network, i can see it on my device tables on my router, I can ping it from the desktop. But when i try to install a config vis ESPHome in HA, i get the following error:

INFO Successfully compiled program.
INFO Resolving IP address of esp32-arduino.local
ERROR Error resolving IP address of esp32-arduino.local. Is it connected to WiFi?
ERROR (If this error persists, please set a static IP address: https://esphome.io/components/wifi.html#manual-ips)
ERROR Error resolving IP address: Error resolving address with mDNS: Did not respond. Maybe the device is offline., [Errno -5] No address associated with hostname

I have noticed its amending .local to the hostname. That fully qualified address will not resolve on my network. Here’s the stupid part: ESPHome won’t let me add that to the config.

The .local is not an issue of ESPHome but of your router/dns server in your local network that handles local dns resolution on .local :wink:
Side note: you can’t do OTA to an ESP device if he doesn’t have ESPHome firmware already in it (first time you need to do it by serial/usb on device itself !

1 Like

OK, that’s good to know. I did also try to upload a configuration with the ESPFlasher utility, but it threw the following error.

Using '/dev/cu.usbserial-D309QDVV' as serial port.
Connecting........_____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____....._____
Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: Timed out waiting for packet header

OK, apparently i need to hold down the ‘0’ button before uploading/flashing. Nothing in the guide to say that.

Manually (usb) dumped a bin on it. I’ve successfully flashed via OTA a new config. Success.