ESP8266 MQTT Dimmer?

Currently I have 10 12v halogen spots on my porch, these spots are controlled with a zwave-dimmer. I want to replace the halogen spots with LED spots and preferably control them with a Wifi + MQTT dimmer.

Does anyone know of such a dimmer ? I can’t find anything ESP8266 based.

Are you looking for DIY or ready made?
I propose a DIY RGB controller based on ESP8266 for RGB strip. It can naturally be used to control 3 12v spot instead of one rgb strip.
Code is available to control it over mqtt via home-assistant.

You could also use this design for single channel controller:

For commercial module, you can see those:
This module can be used to control 3 spot (3 channels) - It doesn’t include the esp and you have to connect an esp to it.
5 Channels controller - You could control 5 spot from this module. This one also include the esp, so no need to add another one, and no need to provide a separate 5V power supply. Simply re-flash the embedded ESP with an mqtt code, and your good to go :slight_smile:
1 Like

Can anyone confirm that this 5 channel controller can be re-flashed ? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RGBWW-Strip-WiFi-Controller-1-Port-Control-200-Lights-Communicate-with-Android-Phone-Via-WLAN-to/32502007408.html

Yes look at the feedback, several person confirmed that you can reflash it:

Great seller, great device - flashed with ESPEasy and hooked to RGBW strip and Domoticz.

You can also see the ESP and reflash pin on some photo from the seller’s description.

2 Likes

Thanks ! Any recommendations for a powersupply or can I just re-use the 12v powersupply’s of the halogen spots ?

Will you use 1 controller per spot? What is the power consumption of the spot? What is the max output of the power supply?

I want to use 1 controller for 5 spots. The spots are MR16/12V/3w spots. I don’t know the exact output of the power supplies (there are 2 for 10 halogen spots).

Then you need a power supply that can provide the power for the 5 spots. The actual power supply already supply power for 5 spot, it could be ok.

Check on the power supply, it should be written how much current, in amper (A) or milliamper (mA) it can supply.
You will need a little more power than what is consumed by the 5 spot, to power the esp.

The 5 spots use 3W*5=15W, which equal to 1.25A. With the esp, a 12V 1.5A is enough to power the spot + the driver (ESP).
To be on the safe side, and if you often run the 5 spots at full power for long period of time, you should take a 12V 2A power supply.
It’s better to take one that can supply a little more, so it won’t become warm and extend the life length of the power supply.

Maybe this will do it: https://www.itead.cc/sonoff-led.html
You have to reflash it with arendst firmware.

Well I just ordered 2. Has anyone got these running and what code are they using?

Thanks