ESPHome 2021.10.0 logging problem ("Can't connect...")

Anybody else having problems accessing the ESP logs after updating to 2021.10.0 and recompiling the firmware of an ESP?

Error message is:

WARNING Can't connect to ESPHome API for XYZ.local: Error resolving IP address: [Errno -2] Name or service not known

YAML is unchanged.

I can in fact access the logs of all ESPs that have not been recompiled with the new ESPHome version.
And when I update OTA for the first time the logs are shown too just after the upload (as usual).
But from there one there is no way to see the logs again. Another upload is possible but also does not show the logs again.

Beside that the updated ESPs seem to work fine. They connect to HA and can be flashed again OTA. So the “Can’t connect…” seems to be an issue specific to the logging connection.

This is where it ends after each OTA with 2021.10.0 (except for the very first one):

I encountered the same thing. I hard coded the IP to the device which I found logging into the router and finding the name given to it on the router:

wifi:
  ssid: "mywifi"
  password: "mypassword"

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Heater Fallback Hotspot"
    password: "234324324324324234343"

# Optional manual IP
  manual_ip:
    static_ip: 192.168.1.22
    gateway: 192.168.1.1
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
1 Like

Just checked and found a corresponding issue report:

A PR to solve this problem is created and will be integrated in the next release

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks!

how do you know what the ip address is if its a brand new esp32 device?

You can also look at the logfiles of each device at the very start you will see the IP