Esphome 2023.12.5 bricked my esp’s

WIth 2023.12.8 I don’t see any issues at my side… Here everything works correct.

Correction: I revert back to 2023.12.0

The latest version 2023.12.8 screwed my whole network. The router is overloaded and I have to restart the router. Then all devices on my network are offline.

Version 2023.12.0 is very stable. Wifi Connection is stable and fast.
On latest 2023.12.8 unstable and Wifi connection disconnect many times and slow

1 Like

Oh no! Based on your report yesterday I updated one Sonoff switch I had, since I’d been kind of looking for an excuse to replace it, but everything went fine.
I proceeded to upgrade a Sonoff basic and my S31s and everything came out fine.
Ver. 2023.12.9

I’m wondering if this related to my issues - I notice you say that the RSSI was a lot worse as well as the other issues.

Since updating I have temperature sensors that Bluetooth Proxy has previously not had nay problems with, that are mostly unavailable, I get maybe some data once every 4 or 5 hours.

With the latest version I used before reverting back the silver plate if the esp wifi was burning hot… Not 1 but all 8 modules. After reverting back they are ok now.

Better to know this… Never want that one of the modules get fire because of that

did you measure or did it feel hot? if you measured I would like to know the temp.
I have several esp8285 devices running esphome 2023.12.6 and 2023.12.8
but no wifi issues at all.
by default I set power_save_mode: HIGH to reduce the power wifi uses. this might be a difference.
still I don’t want my house, or any one else his house, to burn down. so you might have found a really critical bug.

My modules behind glass (wall switches with touch) So the PCB is not open.
When I removed the glass to take out the PCB I burned my finger. I have a red spot now on my hand.

I can’t measure. Only feel. Now I can hold my finger on the ESP module again without burning it.

Thnks,
I think you are using the same sonoff switches I use a lot.
I have a few flashed with esphome 2023.12.5
I checked those but those are not running hot.
(my other devices are not easily accessible.)
but also my network just works.
I think the heating up is related to not being able to connect to the network. but why you can’t connect to the network is still unclear.
in the github issue I say the issue should be fixed in 2023.12.9
however I do not see anything related to that in the changelogs.

Offtopic: Im using not Sonoff. Have custom made by “Meek” same idea. Can control everything… Leds for touch to use them also in scenes in house…

Ontopic: For me I’m done now with update ESPhome and hope everything will work. Half a day i’m try to fix everything then the network collapse… haha…

The router seems to be overloaded but with what I don’t know.
Maybe because the modules try to connect every time to wifi… and disconnect again…

I can’t tell what it can be.

This is why i dont even update esphome devices that are in sonoff or any other simple configs. If the update doesnt apply to anything to do with them, skip it.

I do the same now. If everything work then fine for me.

Over the years ive learned a couple things from my own experiences like this. If the update doesnt apply, skip it. Dont be in a rush to apply every update as soon as it comes out. Let everyone else be the guinea pigs and make any issues known because it messed up their stuff. Always. Always, Always backup before any systemwide or whole add-on update.

1 Like

I’m backup everything. Every update I backup first my stuff.
And for ESPHome I have BIN files that work. I can connect ESP on serial and restore the device.

Offtopic:

Add this to your Manage add-on repositories
From here I installed the 2023.11.0 version next to the current ESPhome version. Now I can edit and manage the devices with an older version inside HA.

Im happy found this !!! @khenderick thanks for this!

1 Like

This seems related to my issue as well. I have 8 Sonoff S31s flashed with esphome 2023.12.9 and over the last few days I’ve noticed their connections dropping randomly and being unable to reconnect and additionally my router goes unresponsive for minutes at a time several times a day. Going to revert to 12.1 to see if that resolves both issues.

Seems exact same issue. I revered back to 2023.11 using the add-on I posted. For me it seems that this version is even more stable then 2023.12.0

Devices connected fast. Visit the webUI of the devices load fast.

Give it a try to revert back to 2023.11 as well. Maybe after this version the issues started slowly in the next versions and get even worse

I’ll see how this goes for a few days. In the 20 hours since reverting to 2023.12.1 I haven’t had any connectivity issues at the plugs and my router hasn’t dropped once as far as the ping integration is concerned.

I normally like keeping up to date with the esphome releases but this has me examining that more closely. Needing to weigh the small pains like this one to what the big pain of accepting 6 months of breaking changes would be.

When I have some time I will create an issue on Github.

I’ve rolled all my esphome devices back to 2023.11.6 and I’m still getting intermittent disconnects on my router. I guess there must be something else at play there, unless the issue we’re seeing became present before 2023.12.0.

Did you reboot your router also after the revert? I did reboot my router also. Everything is since then stable as…