ESPHome and VLANS

Does anyone have their ESPHome devices on a separate VLAN?

I am having a problem in that when I move mine to the VLAN they wok as expected in HA but the ESPHome dashboard does not see them so I cannot check the logs or reflash them.

There is an old post that references a similar issue but as it is old enough to wonder if anything has changed?

Also my networking knowledge is not quite up to those who posted there; whilst I follow the thread, some holes in my understanding remain.

I would be grateful if any one could share their experience of putting ESPHome devices on a separate VLAN.

Thanks.

Yes

What hole?

I meant there were holes in following what was suggested in that thread as a solution.
I don’t understand why HA is happy that they are on a separate VLAN but the ESPHome dashboard isn’t. They don’t appear on-line and yet they fully function in HA

I’m guessing my firewall rules need tweaking but I am not sure why?

Other non ESPHome devices work on that VLAN too.

That normally indicates a mDNS problem…
Tried giving them a fixed IP?

PS: you only need the addon to flash the esp’s, after that you could just switch it off.

1 Like

The 2nd post in that other topic gives you the solution…

Discovery services like mDNS, SSDP and so on typically uses multicast to function.
Multicast traffic is typically not routed between subnets, so when your devices are on a separate subnet then they will broadcast there discovery traffic on that, but HA will be listening for it on the other subnet.

2 Likes

Thank you, yes it does.
Although the explanation for using ping was more useful.
I have turned on mDNS.

And, yes all the answers were staring me in the face in that ‘other’ post.

And where is the solution please?

2 Likes