ESPHome and WLED Effect

I have a controller setup using esphome that is using an LED strip and 2 sensors. I have been trying to use Node Red to controller effects of the LED that essentially control different sections. It has been very difficult to build the Node Red flow to account for all the different situations of each section and assigning the corresponding effect. Looking deeper I found WLED which should give me better control for each segment and turning it on or off. The problem I believe is that I can’t use my sensors if I convert the controller to WLED and found that a WLED effect is possible with esphome. Unless I am mistaken how would this be set up?

What I am looking for though is has anyone got this WLED effect to work and if so how? I tried the WLED integration of HA but my controller was not found which makes sense since its not a WLED controller. I have not found any examples from searching online about how I can control the LEDs using the effect through HA.

Here is the documentation I was using to set up the WLED effect on esphome Light Component — ESPHome

1 Like

So let’s read the docs: Light Component — ESPHome

WLED Effect

This effect enables controlling addressable lights using UDP-based UDP Realtime Control protocol used by WLED, allowing to create realtime ambient lighting effects.

Essentially the same I use for my ambilight clone were esphome is receiving via e1.31 the “instructions” for the led’s from hyperion-ng running on my kodi box :rainbow: Maybe you want to give e1.31 a try if it does the job for you…

Do you want to control WLED from esphome or Home Assistant?

Here’s an example script from Home Assistant:

I got this working today if there is still any interest

esphome:
  name: door-and-gate-status-light

esp8266:
  board: esp01_1m

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
  encryption:
    key: "xxxxxxxxxxx"

ota:
  password: "xxxxxxxxx"

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Door-And-Gate-Status-Light"
    password: "xxxxxxx"

captive_portal:

wled:

light:
  - platform: neopixelbus
    type: GRB
    variant: WS2811
    pin: GPIO2
    num_leds: 7
    name: "Doors/Gates Status"

1 Like

Can you let me know how you have this set up? When I add the wled component to ESPhome, I don’t seem to have any different integrations/functions in HomeAssistant.

This goes back a bit but iirc…

If you add that wled: line item it doesn’t tell HA about a WLED light it means that the light defined in this bit can be communicated to using the WLED protocol and not that it “is” a WLED. It’s “just a light” in HA and you should find it as a light.xyz entity

light:

- platform: neopixelbus
    type: GRB
    variant: WS2811
    pin: GPIO2
    num_leds: 7
    name: "Doors/Gates Status"

So what do you use to communicate with it and send wled settings? Using wled with esphome has been a thing for over a year and theres little to no documentation or anything else on how to actually use it. Setting up addressable led lights in esphome isnt anythig that needs “figured out” you can literally copy and paste the example from the docs. How i send wled effects to a light strip using esphome is the mystery.

1 Like

Another topic on this: ESPHome and WLED

Yes, completely unclear what this does.