ESPHome HASS AddOn: Where to find the folder in which external_components will be downloaded from git?

Hi all,

I try to use the following pull request as an external component:

The problem here is that the latest version of ESPHome requires a change in one of the files included in the code belonging to the pull request. So it is advised to include the external component with source: source: github://pr#3625 and after the code has been downloaded locally change one line of code.

My problem is that I don’t find the folder in which the external component will be downloaded from git in my Home Assistant installation. I tried to search the folder recursively in the whole system file structure via the terminal but could not find it. Also I read that those files should be stored in the “.esphome” folder but also I can not find this hidden folder anywhere. And when I look into the logs from the ESPHome compilation, it points to the folder /data/external_components/1ff663bb/esphome/components/gc9a01/display.py which I also can’t find anywhere in the system.

File "/data/external_components/1ff663bb/esphome/components/gc9a01/display.py", line 63, in setup_gc9a01
    config[CONF_LAMBDA], [(display.DisplayBufferRef, "it")], return_type=cg.void
AttributeError: module 'esphome.components.display' has no attribute 'DisplayBufferRef'

Can someone maybe help?

Thanks and best regards
The Smart Home Maker

Hi all,

ok I got this solved by creating an own fork of the referenced GitHub repository and adjusting the file in my fork.

If anybody else struggles, you can use this fork as well:

external_components:
  - source: github://the-smart-home-maker/esphome-4cello@gc9a01
    components: ["gc9a01"]

The Smart Home Maker

2 Likes