ESPHome-ify my boiler - need help choosing components

first of all, I’m not sure if this fits more here or in the hardware category - so sorry if it’s OT

I am trying to ESPHome-ify my boiler and am stuck at chosing a way to control the relays.
The schematic should be simple enough (I guess)

I’m going to use two DS18B20 Temperature sensors (for redundancy … don’t worry - even if everything fails, there’s still a thermal cutoff for safety), and a simple relay (no SSR, because I don’t have enough space/airflow for a heatsink)

the heating coil draws up to 1500W (~230V ~38Ω) so a relay which is ratet 10A sould be plenty - I think this one should do the job. Now at 5V it draws 180mA - so I plan to switch it through a transistor… but I can’t figure out what properties that transistor should have… or is there another way to switch it?

could someone point me in the right direction?

Hi @Farnsworth

Personally I would use a contactor to control the heating coil not a relay. I done this already…

But first could I have a bit more info?

What is the boiler for… heating or hot water?

What are you trying to do/achieve… normally boilers have their own temp control

it’s hot water for showering - it’s in a bathroom (so not a central device for the whole house). It only used for the shower and the sink in this bathroom.

Of course it has its own temp control - this is how it worked the last couple of years. But first of all, why not integrate it into home Assistant?! And secondly, its bilt in controls are messed up … I didn’t mention this before, but the whole device actually consists of two tanks “connected in series” in one boiler - so there are two temperature sensors, two heating rods, therefore two relays, and some electronics that control all of it. Now here’s the catch - even though there’s two of everything, the electronics turn off BOTH heaters, as soon as one reaches the desired temperature - this results in one tank (the one closer to the water-output) reaching the desired temperature as intended and quite fast (because it gets the pre-heated water from the other tank) but the other barely reaches 35°C, because it has to heat the fresh and cold water from the water-input but gets turned off, as soon as the other, generally hotter tank reaches the desired temperature. I always kind of wondered why the water gets cold so fast, even though it’s a decent size boiler… so recently I put in two temperature sensors (for another project - not because I wanted to figure this out) and found out the reason by accident…

Now I would like to replace the electronics (which drove me crazy from the very beginning - the display regularly fails, and occasionally it wouldn’t heat for no apparent reason until I power cycle it). It was a very cheap boiler but fits perfectly in the designated space, which is why I put up with it so long and now I would like to upgrade it and reveal its full potential so to speak

Aren’t they basically the same thing?!

@Farnsworth Ok go it… thanks for all the details :+1:

yes and no. I like Contactors for motors high amps but Boilers a relay can be ok 10A …my boiler is 20 to 21 amps so I used contactor with a Shelly to switch the contactor. Shelly Pro was not available at the time.

What I have done. I have 1 boiler with 2 coils. One coil at the top and one coil at the bottom. The design of the controls is top coil must be satisfied before bottom coil will be switched on. Idea is really for off peak power to save $$. Top coil heats about 50 lt and the bottom coil will heat the whole unit 200 + lt. So at night off peak power we turn on the bottom coil to heat everything through HA automation… the top coil is on 24/7 so we will always have hot water regardless but it only heats up a small amount 50 lt. This is saving us a lot of $$$. We then have a manual push button to turn the bottom coil on as if more people are using the shower we can cope with demand on that day. We can also turn the bottom coil on through HA switch. That night the HA automation kicks in and will turn the bottom coil off next day resting it.

I say all of that because you could adopt the same logic saving $$ having 2 tanks. Closes tank to the outlet on 24/7 and the other one on a timer for off peak power.

Q: What is your desired temp? above 60°C is recommended to prevent legionnaires’ disease.

To your original questions

You could use a relay but in your case I would go with Shelly Pro2 or if you would like power monitoring go with Shelly Pro2M.

If you use your existing controls to heat up the coil closes to the outlet running 24/7 and just disconnecting the inlet tank coil and control just one tank coil you could go with Shelly Pro1 or power monitoring Shelly Pro1M

If you need something smaller you could go with the Plus series but they are lower in Amps so just check it suits you… they are more cost effective to.

All the Shelly’s are local control no cloud, no account needed. Connects to HA easy, self discovery…

Your temp sensors could use ESP32 but I think the Shelly plus series can add a temp sensor to them but not 100% sure.

hope this helps :grinning:

I already have a couple of Shelly devices - but didn’t know about the Pro series - they look very interesting - especially since they have an ethernet jack! Will definitely keep them in mind for the future!

However, for this project, I would like the boiler to work completely independently. So all of the controls should be locally done by ESPHome (or whatever), even if HA goes down (which it hasn’t for over a year now, since I switched hardware - keeping my fingers crossed).

Well I’ll be damned … there’s an official temperature sensor addon for the Shelly 1 (not Pro though) … so getting two of these (the 1s are also rated for 16A) and programming them each with ESPHome to be thermostats, would actually be a lot simpler than building my own PCB and everything!!!

Thanks for giving me this idea!

I’m trying to do a similar thing. However, I don’t have a night tariff, but a small photovoltaics system. Now I’m building a Dimmer that feeds all the excess power (around noon it’s quite a bit actually) into the boiler - it’s still very much work in progress, but the results look promising.

Yes - I did consider that. Which is why I plan to heat it to 70°C, right after there’s no more power from the PV system - should only be like 10°C left, so using a bit mains power is absolutely worth it

If you use the Shelly app or your browser to log into it you will all be set the shell and you can turn off wi-fi and HA… it will still work including time clock. Check your other shellys go to settings / device & services click on a shelly go to “1 Device” under device info click “visit device”… all there stand alone if you like.

more cost effective way

That’s true, but if the temperature sensor is not in the same device, how would the shelly know when to turn on/off?! :wink:

and probably a LOT less headache getting everything to work :sweat_smile:

I think new software is coming out soon to connect via Bluetooth go to 54:35 on time stamp. Click Here :wink: