ESPHome RGBWW LED Bulbs with Google Assistant

Hello. I have 6 RGBWW (2k/5k white, often reffered to as cool-white and warm-white) LED bulbs with ESPHome firmware on them. They’re working in HA to set all 5 channels. Unfortunately, with the Google Assistant integration, I can only turn them on/off, set the brightness, and the color (i.e. 3 channels: RGB). I cannot access the other white LED channels.

Does anyone know how we can achieve this? I’ve attached screenshots from my phone to illustrate the difference.

I’m having the exact same issue. Were you ever able to fix it? It has to do with esphome setting the whtie LEDs via an independent white_channel value.

I wasn’t. If nothing happens, I’ll probably write a custom lambda function in the on_loop automation that turns off the white value if an RGB component is modified and vice versa. This will at least ensure that if there’s a white value set, the RGB value won’t be lost in the white light.

I can then follow up up by checking if the color space is near white, and then using the CW/WW LED’s if it is. That may end up being clumsy though. It may be better to templated a separate white light, which should work well with on_loop idea. I’m hoping to have some time to do that within a couple months. My fingers are still crossed that someone close to this code can suggest a better way of dealing with this situation.

I split my RGBWW bulbs into 2 lights, 1 pure white and one RGB to work around this.

Here’s the configuration:

Device:

Light:

Output:

Thanks for replying. You got me on the right track and then I found this thread:

It works great with both Google Assistant and Homekit/Siri. It also simplifies the way HA works with these 5 channel lights and prevents possibly running all 5 channels at the same time and overheating/ruining the bulb. It requires adding one simple line to the ESPhome yaml under light:
color_interlock: true

sweet! But that must be a rather new change definetly gonna make use of that! thanks for keeping us updated, feature googlers will thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like