Esphome stuck on update 2021.11.1

Hi everyone :slight_smile:

We seam to be stuck on version 2021.11.1. ESPHome will not let us update. If we click on the changelog we get this message

“No changelog found for add-on k0d7b974_esphome!”

We did a full backup of our system then tried to uninstall esphome and that didn’t work as it wouldn’t uninstall properly. ESPHome was still in our add-ons but when we clicking into it we got a similar massage (black screen - and cant find ???, cant remember) then panicked and went to our backup file so all is okay and we can get back into ESPHome again but still can’t update… it also doesn’t recognise that there is an update.

anyone have a solution for this?


Similar issue here but no suggested fix - sorry.

well looks like i am not alone.

I just looked into my supervisor version of HA and noticed there is also an update that is not showing up.

I am on HA Supervisor version: 2021.12.2 and core Version core-2021.12.3

looks like there is a new HA Supervisor version: 2021.13.3

not sure if your in the same boat or if this will help someone resolve the problem.

Do you still have the addon repository setup in HA?

It’s in Configuration > Addons, Backup and supervisor > Addons store > 3 dot > Repositories

Try a complete reboot of your HA-host system. Sometimes processes get stuck and a reboot of the system solves this.

Same here…

INFO Reading configuration /config/esphome/ter.yaml...
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Core config or version changed, cleaning build files...
INFO Deleting /data/ter/.pioenvs
INFO Deleting /data/ter/.piolibdeps
INFO Compiling app...
Processing ter (board: esp01_1m; framework: arduino; platform: platformio/espressif8266 @ 2.6.3)
HARDWARE: ESP8266 80MHz, 80KB RAM, 1MB Flash
Dependency Graph
|-- <ESPAsyncTCP-esphome> 1.2.3
|-- <ESPAsyncWebServer-esphome> 2.1.0
|   |-- <ESPAsyncTCP-esphome> 1.2.3
|   |-- <Hash> 1.0
|   |-- <ESP8266WiFi> 1.0
|-- <DNSServer> 1.1.1
|-- <ESP8266WiFi> 1.0
|-- <ArduinoJson-esphomelib> 5.13.3
|-- <ESP8266mDNS> 1.2
Compiling /data/ter/.pioenvs/ter/src/esphome/components/api/api_connection.cpp.o
Compiling /data/ter/.pioenvs/ter/src/esphome/components/api/api_frame_helper.cpp.o
Compiling /data/ter/.pioenvs/ter/src/esphome/components/api/api_pb2.cpp.o
Compiling /data/ter/.pioenvs/ter/src/esphome/components/api/api_pb2_service.cpp.o

At this moment the comiling stucks and my HA isn’t available any more … still waiting 4 about 1h.
I’ve to reboot by hard power-cut-off :frowning:
I don’t know how to solve this.
HELP, please!

@makai – Hi Makai, we didn’t have the repository add on, thanks for asking. :+1:

@jsuanet – Hi jsuanet, yea we did try this many times but thanks for asking. :+1:


All I can say is thanks for backups!!

These are the steps we took

1/ Copied all our backups from HA to our PC

2/ Copied all the code we have changed in yamal files to our PC

3/ We noticed 2 off “os_6.6” backups. Strange, we must of interrupted the update. Probably my fault, so net time I will be more patient and just wait. So we restored back to the first backup created. This resolved our HA upgrade problem as we can now see we have the option to update HA to the latest release. But we just waited and moved on to the next step. See Note at the end.

4/ We noticed a backup of ESPHome with a realer release, so we used that backup to fix ESPHome and it worked. We now can see we have an option to upgrade to the latest release. So we upgraded ESPHome. All worked no problem. The only thing we had was the upgrade time wheel keep spinning and we waited for ages and it just keeps going…… so we clicked off ESPHome and went back into it and it had done the upgrade. Not sure why it did this, maybe a bug but will keep an eye on it next ESPHome update.

5/ Updated HA. No problem there just waited and it refreshed for us to login again.

6/ Used the yamal files code to update our HA, just copied and paste.

7/ HA discovered our missing ESPHome device so we just clicked configure and it added it in under integrations. It didn’t show up in ESPhome add-on so we just added it in with the same name and it connected. We then copied our yamal into it and updated it (flashed it).

We then found that is put a “_2” on the end of the entity ID’s. So in “entities” we just selected all the original entity’s with the correct entity ID name and removed it (NOTE: it has a restore icon on the right of everyone we removed). Then we edited the entities with the “_2” on the end changing or removing the “_2” for everyone. This fixed up lovelase and everything was displaying correctly.

8/ Updated all our ESPHome devices.

9/ Full backup of our system and copied the file onto our PC.

NOTE: We did lose some stored data. Maybe it was in step 3 as we selected all our folders as well. Maybe if you’re trying this fix… try not selecting the folders in your backup restore and only HA file. It just may keep all your data and yamal file.

Hope this helps someone. :heart: