ESPHome Thermostat design?

I’m out of options at the moment with wanting a API driven thermostat. I just found out that Radio Thermostat is no longer supporting Wifi in any way. My CT50 won’t even attach to my home wifi.

I checked the features of the Z-wave and Zigbee devices and its mostly just reporting and I’m looking for automation and control.

That leads me to ESPHome and a dev board. Has anyone successfully built a device to control their AC/Furnace? I’m fairly technical and can do basic wiring and soldering and am a capable programmer but I don’t know the first thing about how HVAC systems work or how to control the different functions.

Why not a nest learrning thermostat? Mine is integrated with HA pretty well -

Learning thermostat? like Nest? Which unit do you have that is integrated well with HA?

https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_learning_thermostat_3rd_gen?hl=en-US

There are youtube videos as well…

Note that although they do not support additional nest thermometers other than the thermometer in the nest thermostat, you can automate anything within home assistant so that if a different thermometer or anything you want can turn the HVAC to cool or heat or cool_heat etc. One thing it has is the nest display lights up when you approach it. Someone on the forums also just discovered how to trigger off of the motion that lights up the display as well! (If someone has walked near it or put their hand on the thermostat to adjust it! Here’s a link to that discussion:

Hope that helps. FYI maybe it was just my setup, but mine yused to go offline all the time and it was a total PITA - but then I discovered my compbinatin router model and the secure protocol to connect to wifi was the issue and I changed to a different wifi security protocol and it’s been flawless ever since.

Good luck -

Nah, that’s not right.