ESPHome Toshiba AC IR help

Hi all!

I’m having a couple of issues with using an a couple of IR bulbs attached to an ESP8266 (running ESPHome) to control my Toshiba AC unit.
I’ve managed to fumble my way into getting the coolix climate integration to work but as this integration controls the HVAC unit like the remote, it isn’t very useful for maintaining the room temp; as it will send an IR signal for the temperature you want the room to be (i.e 28C), instead of something cooler, followed by turning the AC off once it reaches the desired temperature

I’ve previously done this (with success) using the Home Assistant generic climate function with a Broadlink RM3 which sent a "turn AC on at 23C’ IR signal to the AC unit, and turns off when my temp sensor reaches my desired temp (28C).

I’ve tried using an IR receiver to decode the raw IR signal for my desired AC setting but i keep getting “(message skipped because it was too big to fit in tcp buffer - this is only cosmetic)” errors popping up in the ESPHome logs screen meaning i am only seeing a portion of the raw code.

is there any way I could circumvent the coolix climate integration, but still use the coolix coding which seems to work with my AC unit?
i.e some type of yaml code where i can tell it to use coolix coding + turn on + set to 23C

Of not, do you know of any other ideas how i can capture the complete RAW IR signal?

Thanks heaps for your help

Hi all,

I just thought i’d share how i managed to solve this issue.

The best way I found to get reliable RAW IR codes was by using the ESP8266 plugged into a computer running Arduino IDE with the code found here.

The only caviot to this method is you will need to turn every second number into a negative.

But overall it solved my issues with getting passed “(message skipped because it was too big to fit in tcp buffer - this is only cosmetic)” midway through IR data on ESPhome.

Hope this helps