about couple of months ago all my esphome devices (esp8266 & esp32 based devices) started drooping off wifi every few minutes (sometimes seconds). they might be even restarting. I dont know a sure way to know. esphome log shows the below message
“WARNING Disconnected from API: Timeout while waiting for message response!”
- the drop outs happen only a few hours a day. usually morning to evening. I have never seen this happening during sundown.
- not all devices effected everyday. usually only a handful of devices effected on any day. next day a different (random) set of devices get effected. somedays almost all of the devices affected (but not all). somedays (once or twice a week) everything is fine.
- only esphome devices are effected. each individual device is fine for a day are two and then starts dropping off. then it is fine for a day or two.
- I have other 2.4 ghz devices like yeelights, vacuums, etc, they are fine. never effected.
- I also have other esp8266 with WLED and they are also fine. never get effected by this issue. issue is only with esphome devices.
- I tried various changes on the unifi side (like DTIM, rate controls, etc) but no avail.
- created new wifi network and and updated esphome thru OTA. but no dice there either.
- tried “power_save_mode: none” under esphome wifi section. didn’t work.
I compiled & downloaded the bin file and flashed it using esphomeflasher (thru usb cable).
this seemed to have worked (3 days so far), I suspect there is some part of esp8266 that only esphomeflasher is erasing and re-flashing. OTA is not touching that area. edit: spoke too early
I have bunch of tuya based wall switches and plugs. Initially I flashed the custom firmware using tuya_convert over the air. I am not even sure if there is access to physical connectors (without breaking them) on these devices.
I would like to know if there is a way to re-flash firmware thru OTA which will erase everything like the esphomeflasher.
Also would like to hear from anyone having similar issues.