ESPHome with AS3935 Franklin Lightning Sensor - try increasing the spike rejection value!

Welcome to the club. We have matching jackets.

I recommended using the HACS Blitzortung integration instead.

I will give that a try. I got my station all designed and put together and thought maybe I just missed something or was doing something wrong until I came across this post. I plan on keeping the sensor in place on the circuit board and maybe somewhere in the future someone will figure it out.

3 Likes

hoping to get the station put up on the tower today. It is going up on a 55ft armature radio tower that sits next to my house

Hi!

I also have the topic with disturbers. Since the datasheet talks about tuning the antenna, I looked at the Sparkfun AS3935 library example 3 to figure out at which frequency my board is tuned. Originally I had – as you can see from the screenshot

around 550kHz (1/29,1µs * 16 (divider)) which is much too high given that the datasheet talks about 500kHz ±3.5%.

So I tried the maximum compensation value (120pF)

which results in 522kHz which is still outside the maximum of 517.5kHz. With a bit of soldering I could get it to 512kHz but unfortunately the problem persists.
I then changed the i2c bus frequency to 200kHz (no harmonics for 500kHz) which made it a bit better, meaning that I do not permanently get these “disturber detected” messages.

Long story short, the circuit was badly designed/tuned, but fixing it did not bring the expected result.