ESPresense iPhone works, Apple Watch always not_home

I feel like this has to be user error, but for the life of me I cannot figure out where it is. I am attempting to set up my watch and my phone with ESPresnse, phone works fine, watch is always not_home.

I have added the phone and the watch following the instructions here. The watch being the more “complex” one because you have to grab the irk manually, which I believe I got right because it shows up in the /ui interface and in mqqt under espresense/devices. I also added the watch to use a config setting like the phone, which correctly updated the key in espresense/devices to be justin_watch instead of irk:da.... – looks just like the phone and the json documents are AFAICT the same between the phone and the watch. Found this GH issue which confirmed this should work as well.

For the life of me though, I cannot figure out why Home Assistant is not recording the room my watch is in.

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt_room
    device_id: justin_watch
    name: Justin's Watch
    state_topic: espresense/rooms
    timeout: 10
    away_timeout: 120
  - platform: mqtt_room
    device_id: justin_phone
    name: Justin's Phone
    state_topic: espresense/rooms
    timeout: 10
    away_timeout: 120

is the config I am using, phone correctly shows:

The watch only shows:

I’m sure it is something with my config, just not finding it since I copied/pasted from working to not working and just replaced “phone” with “watch”. Rubber ducking typing this out didn’t lead me to any brilliant ideas that fixed it, hopefully someone else has some ideas for me to look at.

Thanks for the eyes!

Did you set up the zone correctly for the espresence?

Just went through something similar with this almost similar issue: Strange zone state behavior

You mean the Home Assistant zone? I think that’s fine - it looks like mqqt_room abuses? that a little bit by inserting the “zone” as the room. I haven’t done anything specific though with zones and espresense. The phone seems happy with what I have so I’d assume the watch would as well, but at this point, I’m beyond assumptions!

And today it is magically working without any changes… glad it works, but I don’t love not knowing why it started working all of a sudden.

I think it takes sometime for HA to pull all the need info from Github repos and populate it into the correct areas. I watched the logs as it had errors, removed the bad/wrong stuff, it it was correct, then go get it again and reinstall, so it appears like magic. Almost AI like.