Ethernet controlled power socket

hi all - i want to control some power sockets that will have lights connected to them. the range is too far for zigbee which i use elsewhere as the sockets are at the end of my garden. i’ve got ethernet wired out to the shed which i’d like to use. can anyone recommend any wired controllable power sockets please?

Thanks!

I’ve not seen any before, not sure how you’d wire ethernet to the socket.

What about just wiring an access point onto your ethernet cable and using WIFI sockets ?

Not sure what country you’re in but here in UK I use the BG sockets

1 Like

thanks, yes - i’m UK based.

sorry, i wasn’t very clear - i’d ideally like an ethernet wired smart plug rather than socket if that makes sense?

Not seen any, would be a good idea though. Not sure how many people would have ethernet available at the socket so guess that’s why they are WIFI

i know, it’s a bit niche! what have you found to be the best wifi smart plug? i’ve so far only used zigbee ones.

Do you want sockets (plural) if so you could use one of the switchable 19” rack mount units - they’re likely to have C13 ‘kettle’ style sockets though. I use them for powering rack mount devices.

I use a selection of different branded Tuya converted ones running ESPHOME where I need power monitoring, I think Gosund are still Tuya convertable.

I’m also using a 4 bar power strip by Meross - it’s OK but cloud only.

I’ve just ordered a TCP 4 bar power strip by TCP - apparently it can Tuya convert

EDIT: Yes they Tuya convert fine

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333344204174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Mostly though I’ve replaced sockets with the BG ones using built in HA integration. They do lose connection every now and again but not enough to be annoying

There are come commercial plugstrips that can have individual sockets controlled over Ethernet.

Here is the first example i found when searching.

https://www.amazon.com/Switched-Switchable-Outlets-Designed-Supported/dp/B0039OZKPE

not a bad idea using rack PDU, do you know if any integrate nicely with HA?

@Holdestmade which integration works with BG sockets out of interest?

I think the one I linked to has a web UI. If it has a REST API you could likely control with HA.

Its the Broadlink integration

Theres a thread here about them

Wi-Fi is not Ethernet though. It is a wireless protocol.

See above, we are discussing WIFI alternatives

1 Like

Another option is DIY

ESP32 ETH-01 board running esphome connected to relay board

Or ready made ethernet relay modules:

https://www.audon.co.uk/ethernetrelay/tcw181b.html

Do they make a UK version of this?

I do not know what code is in the UK but here in US you cannot place low voltage wire inside a gang box with line voltage. Have you considered putting a wireless access point (AP) in your shed to accommodate a wifi device.

Yes it’s the same here. I said about an AP above
I think OP was after a plug in type device with an ethernet port. Not wiring to the socket

1 Like

The Shelly 1 or 2.5 will work for this. You don’t replace the outlet just add the oreo sized device to the box. They are robust and integrate seamlessly into HA. They are also under 11 Euros.

Shelly 1 and 2.5 both use wifi. there are so many wifi devices, i’m probably going to add an access point to solve the issue, then get on board with the shelly or numerous other options.

thanks all!