Ethernet isn’t working!

Hello team!

Newbie here!

I bought a raspberry pi 5 and tried to install latest version of HA and can’t get any signals from the raspberry pi Ethernet port isn’t blinking. I’m using a SD card.

So I tired these steps but no luck.

1.Tried installing 11.5 version as I saw someone mentioning their is an error with latest version

1. Tried changing cables and different ports.

2. Checked if the DHCP enabled on my Tp Link router and its.

Any help would be appreciated.

TA

Hello!

Just looking at at Raspberry pi 5 install instructions from Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io);

• The time it takes for this page to become available depends on your hardware. On a Raspberry Pi 4 or 5, this page should be available within a minute.
    • If it does not show up after 5 minutes on a Pi 4 or 5, maybe the image was not written properly.
      • Try to flash the SD card again, possibly even try a different SD card.
    • If this did not help, view the console output on the Raspberry Pi.
      • To do this, connect a monitor via HDMI.

Hopefully they’ll be an indication on the monitor/TV connected to the Raspberry Pi. If not try installing the default Raspberry Pi image via the same image to boot to a desktop OS and see if the network works there (you can image over the network too, but make sure you’re testing the ethernet rather than the wifi)

Hope that helps!

Thanks heaps Alex. I’ll give this a try and see. Appreciate your reply!

Test cable and port in router/switch by connecting another computer than the Raspberry Pi.
Or actually any other device with an ethernet port, because just getting the link and activity leds active will tell you that something is working.

Hi Wally,

I tried connecting my PC to the router and it’s working fine. I just can’t get Raspberry PI to connect.

HI, welcome to the forum!

I would also try another system - since your using it with an SD card - to see if the ethernet port is functioning.
That way you can also ensure that the cable is working and continue with HA.

Which image exactly did you install? If you grabbed the pi4 image by mistake it won’t install properly.

1 Like

Hi Nick

Thank you :slight_smile: I’ll try another system and see .
Appreciate your reply.

I installed HA 11.5 for Rasberry Pi download it from github.

Raspberry Pi 5 is first supported from HAOS 12.

2 Likes

Oh then my bad… I’ll try installing HAOS 12 and see if it works. I’ll keep you posted Walley :slight_smile:

Appreciate your reply…!

Hey Wally

I tried installing HAOS 12 and still no luck. waiting for my micro HDMI to arrive so I can check if it at least boots :slight_smile:

So you don’t see an IP lease in your router?
Have you tried http://homeassistant.local:8123

Go back to basics, try that!

No I don’t, Yes I have tried that.

Will do now! What kind of system do you recommend?

The easiest could be Raspberry Pi OS and if you go for the desktop version you get info about your network in the GUI.