Ethernet Relay Module

Hello,

I would like to use an ethernet relay module with Home Assistant which is able to switch 16A at 230V.
On the forum I read a lot of problems with setting up some of them, so my actual question is which of them can you recommend?
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Why not use a sonoff relay?
with tasmota not a big deal :wink:

Well that might be an option, but I’d rather buy a complete set of relays which can be connected with one ethernet cable :grinning:

If you get one that can be switched by SNMP, that would presumably be fine.

Do you have any examples?
I am currently looking for Dutch suppliers. However, buying from a different country is not a problem.
A supplier in the Netherlands is selling this one: https://en.robbshop.nl/ethernet-module-8-relais-module
Does someone have experience with that board?

1 Like

those look like SSRs on there - they will not handle 16A

Craig

Does it have to be ethernet? will wifi suffice?

Wifi is also an option. However I like to wire as much as possible :laughing:

1 Like

Well if you are happy to use wifi you could simply wire whatever relays you want to a Wemos D1 mini running ESPhome (or Tasmota) and it will be really easy to integrate to HA. This is similar to what I have done to control my irrigation. I used an NodeMCU (simply because I already had it, but would use a Wemos D1 mini next time), connected it to relays for the solenoids and a contactor to control the bore pump.

@craigcurtin in the manual it states:
The ETH008 provides eight volt free contact relay outputs with a current rating of up to 16Am.

@sparkydave actually I would like to buy a solution which is ready to use

Shelly (wifi) switches have been very reliable for me and the Shelly1 is rated at 16A

Yep need to read that manual fully - it very much depends on what you are driving - that is 16AMP for a resistive load only - for example for a motor it is only 3AMPs

I must say in the past i used to go for these types of “proprietary solutions” and got sick and tired of finding that every 3 or 4 years the manufacturer had gone out of business and the products were non-existent. I ended up buying two of everything just so i would have a spare.

Now i much prefer “standardised” hardware - so something like a Sonoff POW with Tasmota - there is a huge community of enthusiasts using it - support will be there for a long time maybe not from the company but from other users) etc

Craig

These questions are good and are attempting to drill down to the device that you may need. But as you have said 16A @ 250V and I presume AC… you are getting into the realms of contactors and not relays. What are you attempting to control? HVAC with inductive motor load, Hotwater heater with Inductive heater coil, Lights, Car charger, Pool with pump?

It would help to know what you are attempting to drive.

Ok thanks all, but I am now considering using a few Sonoff POW R2’s with Tasmota. Or would you recommend different ones?
Most of the times they will be used just for lights. However, there could be some flood lights as well.
I would also like to use one for a hot water boiler (1500-200W) or an instant heater (3600W). Would that be a possibility?

Have a look at this thread.

And this Zigbee item.
https://www.develcoproducts.com/products/smart-relays/smart-relay-30a/

Also there are projects around to handle this type of board 16A load take a look at projects and boards that use SLA-05VDC-SL-A eg: Aliexpress example

So I don’t know what electrical supply / outlets are normally available in your location but here in Australia most domestic 240VAC power outlets are rated up to 10A, you can have installed additional power circuits that can do larger outlets but in most cases for lights etc… 10Amp is all that is needed, but yes a Hotwater boiler is most probably in domain of 16Amp to 30Amp depending on the requirements.

I was in a semi-similar spot. I have a 17 amp 220v air compressor that I wanted to auto-fill so it would not be empty when I need to use it, but not auto turn on during certain times of the day. My electricity plan has “peak hours” where the kWh rate is not only higher but they also charge you based on the highest amp draw you had durring those hours for the entire month.

After a good amount of searching, I could not find anything that was reliable for that kind of load on 220v system. So I ended up using a sonoff relay connected to a contactor.

The sonoff relay I got was for USA 110v system and is only 1 output so you can not do a straight copy of my setup. For your situation (if wifi is ok), I would look at perhaps using a couple 4 channel sonoff modules (that should be able to be ran off of 5v usb) and then connect them to your contractors.

1 Like

If you don’t need to track consumption, a contactor, as @jeremylee_7 suggested, is probably the best way to go.

1 Like