Eufy camera RTSP stream is disabled after a few minutes (my findings)

I’m able to get a really nice stream by enabling the RTSP option for a camera with the Eufy Security app and then bringing it in via the Generic Camera integration. Theres no need to use the RTSPtoWeb integration as suggested in many places. But once the camera has streamed for a few minutes, it is then permantly disabled until you switch the RTSP option off and then back on in the app.

I believe this is likely to do with them being battery powered and therefore not suitable to be used as streaming cameras and as such Eufy dont allow them to be used as streaming cameras. I did also test by plugging a cable into the charging port but still had the camera’s stream become disabled after a few minutes. Probably because this doesnt supply direct power to the camera and is only a charging port.

For some reason this doesnt seem to be widely ackowledged, or I just havent come across it. Perhaps some people have wired cameras and some don’t, therefore there arent shared experiences when people assume theyre using a similar setup.

So whats the answer here to bring battery powered Eufy cameras into HA without them becoming disabled soon after? Is using Homekit an option instead? Though I remember trying to setup these cameras in homekit a while back and found the default Eufy setup was superior, so I’d rather not disable that if I can.

I’m reading on Reddit about this issue 6mnths+ ago and people were able to resolve by disabling security within the app. Its not possible now to disable security, so thats not an option as a fix (or a very good one anyway)

You can use the eufy_security custom integration to start the rtsp stream on demand and repeat it continuously every 2-3 minutes.

funnily enough I was just reading this thread here in trying to resolve my problem…

Perhaps I’m going about things the wrong way though as all I’m trying to do is integrate my Eufy cameras into HA and not use them for constantly streaming. Should I just be using your Eufy Security integration without enabling RTSP?

I would prefer rtsp stream over the hardware rather than integration based p2p streaming

I’m not looking to stream though. Simply trying to make them work so I can view within HA occasionally. Not sure how exactly to do that. Everything has been brought in and appears to be working but can view a live stream even though I can see the preview. Have tried both picture entity and picture glance cards with calling service camera.turn_on as a service tap action etc etc (not shown in this screenshot). Are there any tutorials out there that you know of?

Screenshot 2023-06-12 181126

Do I need to go back to using RTSP stream just to make it work? What then becomes the use of the Eufy Security integration if I’m just taking the raw stream and bypassing the integration? Am I just to use the Eufy integration to get access to all the entities but not use it for the actual video feed? Sorry if I’m confused.

You can manage your devices with lots of entities, you can initiate rtsp stream on demand without a motion event and for many, you can stream your camera even without rtsp support

for many, you can stream your camera even without rtsp support

This is what I’m trying to figure out now. Am I able to get the stream of the camera without using rtsp and using the eufy integration directly?

1 Like

I just discovered that toggling RTSP Streaming in the app would fix my stream for a few minutes as well.

We have a Eufy camera with the solar panel accessory so it is constantly charging, but it still seems to time out. I think it is odd that it doesn’t actually toggle the RTSP Streaming off in the app, it just seems to stop working until you toggle it off and back on.

1 Like

Even it is solar powered, by design, they are not built for continuous streaming. If you open the app and start watching over there, you would get a notification after some time if you want to continue to stream or pause it.

Using the custom integration, you can trigger rtsp streaming as you would like to.

Hey there! might be helpful to some ppl: I think I found a solution to this topic / can confirm this works (at least for me, my nvr now does what it should since 3days or so…) I had a bunch of old Eufy Indoor Cams lying around and also ran into this issue, but it seems that it’s related to the initially preconfigured RTSP auth method (digest). … If you change the authentication method for the RTSP stream from Digest to Basic (within the Eufy mobile app…) it works. Change the auth from digest to basic, setup your Eufy cams within camera.ui or whatever NVR you use (… ideally also fully block internet access from the lan ip’s of the cameras so that no eufycloud-related-cve affects you). :crazy_face: :sunglasses:

ps: the rtsp url for my cam, was without the :554 port so it looks like:
“source”:"-re -i rtsp://[email protected]/live0

1 Like