Eurotronic Spirit Thermostats firmware issues

Hi there,
I have 8 Zigbee-versions installed in the house since we moved in two weeks ago and discovering some problems. Maybe they are known already and - preferably already have solution:
All were paired fast with HA, I installed window sensors combined with an automation to delayed close and open the valves. Works all very well. But: I already had some thermostats not taking any commands anymore which I could fix with reboot of the TRVs (take battery out). But I also have the third device now that doesn’t reconnect and has to be reset and repaired to work again.
Any thoughts about that?
Thanks for helping!

What zigbee coordinator device are you using?

Hello!

I am not using HA (I use Domoticz), but I have ~ 10 Eurotronic spirit valves on two different sites.

I also have the same issue : the valve does not close correclty, some times, leading to huge overheats.

No answer from Eurotronic, so I had to experience some manipulations myself…

What I can say :

• When the issue is occurring, sending Boost - OFF - heat successsive commands will correct the issue. Pay attention that if the overheat lasts since some hours, the behavior of the valve after recovery will be under-optimized (I think that during the overheat, some internal loops integrators are saturated, and some time is needed to recover correct operation). The best is to implement a script which is able to rapidly detect the issue and send Boost/off/heat commands itself (this is what I did). Also, notice that sending an OFF command when the issue is present will NOT close the valve correclty. The same conclusion is applicable if the valve is set in “manufacturer specific” mode with a valve opening setpoint of 0%. Boost/off is the only way to recover correct operation…

• I have the impression that the issue is really linked to the hot water temperature flowing in the heater, causing internal electronics valve failure (by heat conduction through heater valve metallic body). The technical datasheet of the valve gives a max “operating temperature” of … 50°C! which is funny for a heater valve. Most of the time, hot water in heaters is ~ 60…70°C. I have drastically reduced the number of failures by reducing the temperature setpoint of my boiler to 50°C. On my 2nd site, temperature is higher (65°C), and I have lot more issues.

1 Like

I am using the conbee USB stick with Deconz.

OK, I have no experience with that one. For me at least I noticed a big improvement and full reliability when switching from CC2351 to the bigger TI board.

[quote=“samuelan, post:43, topic:142058”]
When the issue is occurring, sending Boost - OFF - heat successsive commands will correct the issue. [/quote]

Yes, this is the exact same issue everyone is having and have the same “solution”.

Hm… I didn’t think about this before. Could it really be a hardware issue? Unfortunately I cannot control the temp of the water, but I can check it’s exact temperature (on the meter) and it is always above 50 °C.

If it is a hardware issue then if someone buys an Aeotec version they’ll definitely will have the same issue. Unfortunately this can only be verified if someone bites the bullet and buys one.

My hot water is at 70degC and I have not seen these issues. Perhaps also depends on the type of pipes/valves/radiator?

Do you use plastic adapters?

My hot water is only 55degC and I had this issue as well. My workaround so far is to send “Full Power” and a minute later “Heat” once a day to the devices.
This works with my setup. Your milage may vary.

Since I participated in this thread I’ll give you a small update about my solution. As I’ve wrote I got rid of these due to mentioned issues. Mainly, valves not closing. What I did is I bought these https://www.salus-controls.eu/products/online-control-smart-home-system/underfloor-heating/t30nc-m30x1-5-230v-thermal-actuators + sonoff basic + aqara temp sensors. These type of Thermal actuators are used for underfloor heating but the mounting is same. I’m super happy with the result. Hooked this up to generic thermostat and it’s all good. Downside is that it works in on/off mode and can’t be battery powered. Takes around 2 minutes to fully open and then heats until HA sens off command and and it closes in around 2 minutes. Obviously this is not ideal but it works way better than Eurotrnic. I will run this setup during this season. I also tested homeatic trvs and it was working really good but it’s quite expensive in comparison.

Hello,

Yes, it seems to be the only solution… :frowning:
Notice that sometimes, when applying this “reset” procedure, some of them will fail and display “INS”. In this case, I have to manually remove the batteries and replace them in order to re-calibrate the valve… It is the case for nearly all my valves suffering this overheat issue, and this is random.

On my two installation sites, the statistics of valves overheating is different :

1st site : one valve overheat out of 5 valves and each 2 weeks
2nd site : one valve overheat out of 5 valves and each 2-3 days

So this issue is occuring more often on my 2nd site. At first, I was thinking about a hardware issue regarding hot water temp (which is higher on my 2nd installation site). but it seems that other people are experiencing the same issue with low temp water (55°C).

One other difference is that on my first site, during the night, I use the “HEAT ECO” mode for all my valves. I don’t use this mode on my 2nd site, I just use a lower setpoint, but always in HEAT mode. So maybe switching in “HEAT ECO” mode once each 24h hours helps to avoid this valve overheat issue…

Fortunately, the “INS” issue is the one that I have been spared from apparently.

However, I noticed another bug.

I have noticed several times that - sometimes - when turning a valve off manually (via zwave command) it will close it and also report 0%. About one minute later though the valve motor starts again for no apparent reason and when checking the valve percentage it says 30% while the thermostat entity still says “off”…

1 Like

Do you have parameter 8 (temp offset) set to 128 in Zwave? Did you associate an external sensor to the thermostat in Zwave group associations? If yes, they might be the cause.

Hello,

The offset is set to 0 and no extrrnal temp. Sensor.

Hello,

Any news?

A couple of months ago, I complained to my distributor and to Eurotronic about the issues with overheating and such.
Both answered that it is a known issue and due to faulty component.
Both offered to replace the thermostats free of charge.

I have now 3 new thermotats waiting for colder weather so that I can try them out…

In the meantime I’ve tried the Bosch ones and they work out of the box with way less range issues than Zwave. The Bosch ones use a protocol based on Homematic IP apparently. HA support is currently in close to being integrated, a custom component is already there and working.

1 Like

Winter season again? :slight_smile:

So Eurotronic admits that those devices are faulty? Are they saying that the devices sold everywhere are fixed devices?
Because I bought them on Amazon last year, I probably can tell them to replace it, but I don’t know if I’d receive the same faulty device again.

What Bosch devices exactly?

Theo ones from the smart home series. They work better than the Eurotronics in my opinion, but need a separate controller unfortunately.

If the new Eurortronics work fine I’m not quite sure what I’ll keep. Dedicated hub vs. shitty Openzwave…

I see.
I myself don’t want a separate hub for just a TRV, but also I really need a working, reliable trv…

Please let us know then whether your replaced Eurotronics work as expected or not. Thanks.

I look forward also already again madly to the next heating season.

I also have similar problems with the spirits. The worst is probably that the thermostat does not open completely although the room is far below the set temperature. Followed by the problem that it does not close properly when you turn it down. It closes and opens again a few seconds later, only to close completely after another long time.

The thermostats themselves are really good, have a nice simple design and are also well made. But all the problems are anything but nice.

Since I only bought two thermostats out of 5 anyway, the question now is whether I’m going to continue to bother with the Spitits or buy something else. I had already tried the tado thermostats, but they were also the last piece of junk.