EV Charger with Zigbee - will this work in HA?

I am in the market for a new EV Charger, that would work and function without a cloud connection.
There is no problem if it can be controlled by cloud, but in my opinion it must work locally.
I stumbled upon this charger from Norway, that will start to deliver out a charger called Amina S next week.
https://aminacharging.com

But information about HOW it should be used is very spare…
I got in contact with support, and got ZigBee tech info and it really seems lika a smart device - BUT how do I know it will work in my environment?
It is way to expensive to have electricians here to install just to try it💸
and when I asked Amina support what smarthome system they have tested it with they dodged the question :poop: and said that they speak with many smarthome manufacturers and they are all interested. Aka many words and no answer.

Is there anyway to get the info from spec in link belowa nd know if it will work?
Today i am using Conbee2 with ZHA (would happily convert to Zigbee2mqtt if that would help)
How Amina S behaves in a Zigbee network

Hi!

Where are you based? We’d love to have the amina S tested together with HA

Fredrik
amina

1 Like

Sent you a PM

Hey! Glad to see someone else is interested in this as well. It seems like a really promising charger to control locally. Have you gotten any additional responses regarding this? I have been looking for a charger that fits my requirements and this seems promising.

No, not yet. But I will report if I try one.

I am also interested in this topic, anyone tested it yet?
Deconz don´t seem to support it yet what I can find.
Anyone tried the BLE connection from Hass?

I am also interested in this, but will not buy anything until it is supported.
Some alternatives I has found (will do more serching):

• Amina S - Zigbee and Bluetooth LE, but can’t find any support
  • Futurehome Charge - Wi-Fi, Zigbee and Bluetooth, not sure if API is local, the Zigbee has no support yet as far as I see
  • Zaptec Go - Has an API, but I think it is cloud based, has OCPP (have not examined what the protocol involves)
  • OpenEVSE - Open hardware, open software, local API

Did you come anywhere with this? I’m interested in an amina as well :slight_smile:

Hello!

I just installed zigbee2mqtt and the amina charger is automatically picked up by the zigbee network and the signal is good despite the charger being in the garage. I obviously can’t do anything with it yet.

1 Like

What do you mean with “can’t do anything with it yet”?

I know almost nothing about how zigbee networks actually work, so good chance that I just misunderstood.
But from first post link to Amina documentation there is a lot of basic/standard ZB clusters, and a few Amina specific clusters.

Amina S Control (0xFEE7)
This cluster is an Amina specific cluster, and contains attributes not belonging naturally to any of the other clusters. It is used to control different aspects of the charger.

I hoped /expected that the Basic clusters would work out of the box?

Have you tried with ZHA?

It had probably not been added to z2m yet. I have not added anything myself, but it seems pretty straightforward, and there is plenty of supportive people to help in the github repo.
Info on how to add new configuration

Link to GitHub repo

With the help of the documentation @Psychochef found, you could create an issue in the github repo and ask for help, and I’m sure someone with expert knowledge would be happy to help :slight_smile:

Cheers! I’m new to home assistant, and zigbee, so i have allot to learn. My post was intended to sound optimistic, it looks like a device that can work well with home assistant, but i’m not knowledgeable enough to know at this time, so i provided some pictures. I have not tested with ZHA, because i need zigbee2mqtt for some other devices :slight_smile: I may check out new support adding later, right now i need to get all my other stuff to work, and get familiar with everything :smiley:

So if you @rapidradio can’t control the Amina charger with zigbee, how do you use your charger?

I have a charger on the way, hopefully I can test it during the weekend.
I hope ZHA can handle at least basic control of it, but the more I read my hope goes down. :sleepy:
Don’t think I can pull off to create a local quirk for ZHA on my own, and looking at their github it doesn’t seem that it happens so much with reporterd issues or new device requests.

Either way, I will report back when I got my hands on it.

https://github.com/somlioy/amina_s

Found some quirk for z2m, maybe can be converted to a local zha quirk :thinking:

I can report that Amina S is found by ZHA, but only the most basic function get entities.

• Charging On/Off
  • Meters for Watt, Ampere, Voltage and Frequency.
    So it works as any relay with energy meters.

The other endpoints cluster is identified and i can see sensor and command thru “mangage this zigbee device” but how to get thoose to entiteies?
The Amina S Control cluster doesn’t identify any clusters, as expected since it not by zigbee specification.