EVA ICS SCADA and HA integration addon for modbus

Hello Home Assistant Community!

Eva :heart: HomeAssistant

I’m excited to share a new solution that bridges a gap some of us have faced: integrating Modbus devices into our Home Assistant setups. As we know, while Home Assistant is incredibly powerful, it sometimes struggles with seamlessly integrating industrial protocols like Modbus. Although it has modbus, but… better it did not :). That’s where new add-on comes into play, leveraging the robust capabilities of EvaICS SCADA system alongside MQTT for a smooth integration.

EVA ICS SCADA System: For those unfamiliar, EVA ICS is free, fast and versatile SCADA system designed for managing and monitoring industrial processes. Its strength lies in its ability to communicate with a wide array of devices and protocols, including Modbus. Again it is a SCADA system, which is quite similar to HomeAssistant, but used at nuclear palnts by big kids :slight_smile:

The Challenge: Directly integrating Modbus devices into Home Assistant can be problematic, leading to issues like instability and complex configurations. Also, modbus in HA is integrated as entities, not as a devices with sub-entities. This can dampen the smart home experience we’re all striving for.

The Solution: By developing an add-on that uses EvaICS as a middleman, we can translate Modbus communications into MQTT messages.

How It Works:

1. Integration with EVA: First, your Modbus devices are connected to the EvaICS modbus master.
  2. Translation to MQTT: EvaICS then acts as the two-way translator, converting Modbus data into MQTT topics.
  3. Seamless Home Assistant Integration: Home Assistant subscribes to these MQTT topics, utilizing the MQTT discovery, allowing for real-time updates and control over your Modbus devices directly from your Home Assistant dashboard.

I created this add-on to help myself and others in the community overcome a common hurdle, and I hope it can do just that for many of you. Whether you’re looking to monitor energy usage, control HVAC systems, or automate industrial machinery, this add-on can help bridge the communication gap.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences with the EvaICS to Home Assistant add-on!

Happy automating!

Comparison between HA native Modbus and Eva-powered:

Native modbus for JUF 4802 :
Just bunch of sensors and control using template fan.

Eva based:
The composite device, we’re all used to.

XY-MD02 - the temp sensor.
Again bunch of entities. The communication times out often.
You might notice some sensors needs hours to get data from them (which is unaccepltable).

Although timeouts can happen with EVA as well, sensors are pulled at least each couple minutes for sure.