Events table: not storing state_changed events

Hello the Community,

I am new to Home Assistant, but quite experienced with OpenHAB. I have set up my first home assistant server, with the following characteristics:

• Virtual Machine in VMWare, installed with the OVA file;
  • KNX bus integrated with currently 2 lights;
  • Recorder with MariaDB backend, on a Synology NAS, which I suppose works fine.

I am able to toggle ON or OFF the 2 lights with HA, I can see their history in the HA webpage, and I can see the entries in the “states” table with sql queries. However, when trying to find the events in the “events” table, I have nothing. All the events in the table have the event_type as “NULL”, and in the table event_types, there are only 20 entries, and the “state_changed” entry is not present.

I am wondering what I did wrong. I did not install the MariaDB container on the HA server itself, as I’m using MariaDB on Synology, where I gave the user “hass” the full permissions on the “HASS” database, but no server wide permissions.

This is my config, without personal info:

recorder:
  db_url: mysql://hass:[email protected]/HASS?charset=utf8mb4
  include:
    domains:
      - light

Do you have any pointers on where to look ?

Thanks a lot.

Jean-Marc

Additional info: when I disable MariaDB so that HA uses SQLite again, I have the same behaviour.

What does your SQL query look like, can you post. With the recent releases the database in HA has gotten a bit more complex. The old days of a simple one table query for most useful info is no longer possible. Below is an example I shared on new vs. old queries, good hunting! :

Thanks for your answer.

I understand the queries you sent. On my side, I don’t have queries yet. I was going through the docs, and saw the state_changed event_type, but on my installation, I don’t even see it in the event_types table

Does this mean that the data model has changed ? That I cannot rely on the events table to build my queries and that I should do it with states table and other joined tables ?

Thanks again :wink:

Hmmmmm i think I find why. This page (Home Assistant Events | Home Assistant) explains it: “ All events except state_changed are stored in the events table”.

The only question remains: is it normal that all events in the events table have “NULL” as event_type ?

SELECT *
FROM “events” where event_type is not null

returns an empty set

Apologies, I have not messed around with the events tables very much, I mostly query the states stuff. I think the column to look at is ‘event_type_id’ rather than ‘event_type’? ‘event_type’ may have been deprecated.

I’m not sure if this is the kind of data you are looking for or not, but here is a first pass at query to get all the events for ‘lights’ in the last day. This is a pretty rugged bit of SQL by me, I hope someone can show a cleaner bit of code. Also, I use Postgresql, rather than MariaDB, so your syntax may vary, good hunting! :

-- get light events for last day
SELECT
    events.event_id,
    events.data_id,
    event_data.shared_data::jsonb ->> 'domain' AS "domain",
    event_data.shared_data,
    events.event_type_id,
    event_types.event_type,
    to_char(to_timestamp(events.time_fired_ts), 'YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI:SS') AS time_fired_ts
FROM
    events
    LEFT JOIN event_data ON (events.data_id = event_data.data_id)
    LEFT JOIN event_types ON (events.event_type_id = event_types.event_type_id)
WHERE (events.event_type_id = 12
    AND event_data.shared_data::jsonb ->> 'domain' = 'light'
    AND to_timestamp(events.time_fired_ts) > now() - interval '1 days')
ORDER BY
    events.time_fired_ts DESC;

I think you can safely make those INNER JOINs for better performance

Yes, I think that it might have been deprecated.

Thanks for your help

I’ll have a look at this query, but it seems that it won’t be easy to simplify it. In MariaDB, I was thinking of views to store the queries and then use the views for the charts.

As teskanoo proposed, replace the left join by inner join. It won’t take values not present in the other table, but it might be more performant.

Thanks !

I’ve totally gone with views for the events, states and statistics tables just so I can query them more easily and see the dates in my own time zone.

I also base my SQL sensors on these views so as to have only one place to make changes when the developers alter the schema