Every-Holiday outside house LEDs

My daughter wanted lights for other holidays besides Christmas. I did some research, found Home Assistant and Bruh Automation. Got it all done and running like a charm!

Put together my first How-to video.

19 Likes

Very Cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks! The kids love it.

Great Video Production as well!

I put together a similar project but didn’t go the individual addressable route for the animations. My HOA would have dropped a lein on my house. :slight_smile: Ha! Ben was also the inspiration for my project.

2 Likes

That looks nice! Very classy.
No HOA here, thank goodness.

1 Like

that is superb. How did you create the extra themes please?

Already planning some LED strips in my eaves of the house… as I already have them round the patio :slight_smile:

I’m planning the same, except for my living room. I’ll be using also Ben (Bruh) code. Instead of 5V LED strips, I’ll be using 12V LED strips. Because of the length (20m) and low voltage, the AMP’s will be high and therefor quit thick cables for the AMP’s. Using 12V strips for longer length, the AMP’s will be much lower and therefor way thinner cables :smiley:

Watch Ben’s youtube: https://youtu.be/9KI36GTgwuQ
Those theme’s and colours are inside his code

Hi, yeah… I have mine up and I use 12v. DrZz has different themes as well as Ben’s

I made some changes to the themes Ben had.
I just finished a video on how to do it.
There’s even more ways to change them then I did here. This is just what I could figure out so far.

1 Like

Just finished this vid on changing the colors.
Hope it’s helpful to you!

Great thank you. You code is different to Ben’s probably due to using different LEDs/libraries?

However it gave me a good starting point, so I now have my 1st custom effect!

Cheers!

I started with Ben’s code about 6 months ago. I’ve looked at what he has in his gethub repo now and it’s changed from when I copied first it. I think he added Over the Air update capability. There probably has been an update to fastLED in the mean time as well.

What effect did you make?
I love college football so I imagine a world full of houses with crazy lights on every Saturday in the fall sporting everyone’s favorite team colors.

Hi,

Just wanted to say love this project idea and am thinking of doing the same for this holiday season now after watching these videos.

Just a quick question though. For your project, you used 5V LED lights’ were they bright enough? I was thinking of going with 12V but am having a hard time trying to find individually addressable LED’s with weatherproofing.

Thanks,

I made one called “Boro” after my football (real football :smiley: ) team Middlesbrough. Red and white based on police one. Just as a test and works well, thanks

1 Like

I don’t know if the voltage changes how bright they are. I read somewhere that all the LED’s work on 5v and the 12v strings have resistors at each light. Having 12v just means less voltage drop. I can’t totally verify that its true.
Here’s a link for 12v waterproof LED’s. These are the same ones I used, just 12v.

http://amzn.to/2wuC2pK

Let me know how it goes. I’m happy to guide you along if you need help.

1 Like

looks expensive, but that’s a pack of (10) 5 meter strings. That’s how many I needed for my house.

That’s fantastic.

the only issue with my LED strips are the colours are very very limited. Which is such a shame.

Why are your colors limited?