Excessive Data Usage

I’ve had the app running of my phone for over a year with no issues, but this month I got a message from my Virgin Mobile informing me that I was running out of data. I only have a 6gb allowance which I never ever get close to running out, it always roles over. So I checked my data usage and HA APP had used 6gb.

Last month
HA app 1

I did notice the Sensor Update Frequency was set to Fast While Charging, so changed that back to 15mins Normal (15mins intervals)

Today
HA app 2

I’m only tracking GEO location and the phone in my pocket all day as I’m at work. I only used the app once today, 190MB seams a lot of data just for a quick glimpse.

I’ve disabled its mobile data access and set to WiFi only until I resolve the issue.

Any suggestions?

more than likley you are hitting a known issue where you leave a camera open streaming in teh HA app which does not close tis connection. Make sure when you leave the app that you do not have a camera open or even visible in teh dashboard. Close teh camera and navigate to another tab/view before leaving the app.

Thank you for responding.

I’ll setup up a dedicated dashboard for my camera’s and see if that resolves my issue.

:+1:

I removed my 2 cameras to a dedicted dahsboard and I’m still getting the same issue.

its all foreground data, do you have anything else constantly streaming like a live weather card or something similar? the issue is that anything streaming on the device doesn’t stop and those are what need to be removed. I saw some users mention that live weather cards like doppler etc… were also the cause.

I don’t have weather or any other streaming devices. I’ve had the same setup for months with no issue. It was only last month when the data usage went through the roof. My wife has HA App install and when she connects she is only using kilobytes i.e. 108kb when she connects to the same dashboard that I do.

I have uninstalled it for now as I cant have it eating away at my data.

Going to reinstall again tomorrow and see if that resolves the issue.

Hello,

I am having exactly the same issue. Same config has been running fine for months. The last week, data usage has gone through the roof. I’ve topped up with data bolt ons and have burnt through these too.

I removed the cameras from the default home dashboard but this has had no impact.

I am running a HA Core update to see if that fixes the issue.

Has anyone else found a solution to this issue pls. @IbRuthless ? thank you.

I reinstall the app and it resolved my issue.

Did you use any widgets? I suspect they are related.

Hello,

I am having same thing for more than 3 months now. It’s crashing my mobile data.
I need to block mobile data access for HA.
Anyone knows how to debug this? I’ve reinstalled everything and did not fix.
This month I’ve removed mobile access to HA, and then needed to enable yesterday and it eat a lot of GB data dont know why!!
Yes I have cameras, but I did not have the dashboard opened on cameras all that time to spend GB!! Also using WIFI, that Im connected most of the time, it does not use all that much!!
I use cloudfare to access outside, can be it?
I was using for long time, Jan24 I’ve used 100mb, Fev/24 547mb, Mar/24 6.8GB, Apr/24 5.4GB, it’s a lot more!! Using the same thing…

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

The only days excessive source is either a camera or another live stream like a weather radar card etc…

I dont have any.
Also unchecked all sensors.
I also use the HA on my Samsung Android Clock.
I had also widgets (not cameras) and removed.
It’s really strange that it used so much data after turning data use ON, in such short time…
almost that if it was sending/receiving constantly…
Anyway to debug what is being sent?

double and triple check you dont have any webpage streaming cards, those are indeed teh culprit. Nothing else in teh app keeps the connection open longer.

Yes, I have streaming cards on some layouts, but I only go there ocasionally and most of the time are in other card without cameras.
Also It looks like it used data while phone in standby without the app opened…

remove those completely

yes teh connection does not close if those cards were in view before leaving the app.

Then this can be the issue!!