Expected int for dictionary value using hass-variables

Hi everyone,

I am trying to setup an automation to open my window blind if the window is opened and close the window blind if the window is closed. Actually I want to close it to the same position as it was, before the window got opened. I use the hass-variables custom component to store the original position of the blind. I can update the variable with the actual position. However I am unable to close the blind to the original position because the variable is not accepted as integer for the set_cover position service.

initial variable declaration in configuration.yaml:

variable:
  home_theather_1_window_blind_position:
    value: 0

updating the variable when the window is opening:

action:
    - service: variable.set_variable
      data:
          variable: home_theather_1_window_blind_position
          value_template: '{{ state_attr("cover.fibaro_system_fgrm222_roller_shutter_controller_2_level_2", "current_position") }}'

After opening the window I crosscheck with the dev-tools templates that the variable is set. Entering {{ states("variable.home_theather_1_window_blind_position") }} returns 82 which was the actual position of the blind as desired.

Now I want to set the blind back to this position but it fails:

action:
    - service: cover.set_cover_position
      data:
        position: "{{ states('variable.home_theather_1_window_blind_position') }}"
        entity_id: cover.fibaro_system_fgrm222_roller_shutter_controller_2_level_2

Invalid data for call_service at pos 1: expected int for dictionary value @ data[‘position’]`

I also tried to cast it to integer but it doesn’t work, I get the same error:

action:
      data:
        position: "{{ states('variable.home_theather_1_window_blind_position') | int }}"

I also tried like this:

'{{ states.variable.home_theather_1_window_blind_position.state | int }}'

but I get the same error.

Setting the blind if I manually enter an integer number works. So it must be something related that variable state is not taken as integer. Maybe I am overlooking something very obvious. Thanks for help.

You’re missing data_template

action:
      data_template:
        position: "{{ states('variable.home_theather_1_window_blind_position') | int }}"
1 Like

I am amazingly blind :see_no_evil: thanks @petro