Expose fan speed control to Google assistant

Google has enabled an API to configure and control fan speeds. Requesting an update to take advantage of this API.

https://developers.google.com/actions/smarthome/traits/fanspeed

Looks like the entity class was changed to Fan in 0.82, will do some testing to see if that was all we needed!

Doesn’t seem to be working. No speed control, just on / off control via voice, but no control at all via the Google Home App.

Fan speed was added in PR 18373.
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/18373

The code is merged to Dev and works.
I noticed that the Google assistant UI doesn’t show the speeds but the voice commands work.

3 Likes

Is there a way to make it work with the UI of the Google Home App?

1 Like

Has anyone has made to control the speed in the Google Assistant?
Using Nabu Casa or manual integration, Google Home/Assistant only sees it as a simple switch.
Relevant info: I’m using a Jasco GE ZWave Plus 3-speed fan controller with the lastest version of HA.

This has been available for a long time. I have the same controllers and am able to set fan speeds via GA.

For whatever reason, I don’t have those controls exposed.
Just off/on.

That’s just the ui. Use the voice commands.

1 Like

Out of curiosity - have you tested this in any other language than English? E.g. does it work in Spanish or Dutch?

The voice commands to change speeds do not work for me, nor does the UI. I CAN turn it on and off via both.

I have a dimmable light outlet templated to a fan and exposed to Google. Everything works just fine, including speeds, in the HA UI.

Any thoughts?

Hello,

I cannot control the speed of my fan using voice in French.

Moreover, it looks like the state (on/off) stays to “on” and when I switch the fanoff, the state comes back to “on” after some little seconds.

It is a “template fan”, the state is right in Home Assistant.
I use the Nabu Casa integration.

Following this topic I am now able to have the right status (on/off).
But no ability to control the speed using voice in French, looks like it is only possible in English unfortunately :frowning_face:

But if you can do it in english then just create routines to “translate” it to english

it is not possible anymore to use another language in a routine.
And I have not tried to change my Google Assistant language, I trust @eanagley when saying it is possible to change fan speed with Google Assistant :slight_smile: I did not test myself.

Did anyone get this working? I have an MQTT fan exposed to my google assistant but only the on/off commands are exposed via voice commands. The speed settings work from within HA GUI.

Yep, it’s working fine for me. We have a zwave fan switch that works perfectly fine with “set fan to high/medium/low” voice commands.

It looks like working in English but not using other languages for now.

I think it’s possible to add the setting to specify the speed language in the Fan Template, as I wrote here.

I managed to control the fan speed in italian using another automation sofware so we should ask to HA devs to insert the language setting in the Template Fan.