EXT4-fs error validating inode bitmap

Hi all!
I keep getting EXT4-fs error on my Ubuntu installation, which hosts Hass.io running in VirtualBox.

EXT4-fs error (device sda2): ext4_validate_inode_bitmap:100: comm python3: Corrupt inode bitmap - block_group = 160, inode_bitmap = 5242896
EXT4-fs error (device sda2): ext4_validate_inode_bitmap:100: comm python3: Corrupt inode bitmap - block_group = 162, inode_bitmap = 5242898

… and this

Jan  7 12:42:14 ubuntu kernel: [  310.129575] EXT4-fs (sda2): Delayed block allocation failed for inode 3684540 at logical offset 1027558 with max blocks 2048 with error 117
Jan  7 12:42:14 ubuntu kernel: [  310.129622] EXT4-fs (sda2): This should not happen!! Data will be lost
Jan  7 12:42:14 ubuntu kernel: [  310.129622]
Jan  7 12:42:21 ubuntu kernel: [  316.792686] EXT4-fs (sda2): error count since last fsck: 43
Jan  7 12:42:21 ubuntu kernel: [  316.792689] EXT4-fs (sda2): initial error at time 1577578297: ext4_validate_inode_bitmap:100
Jan  7 12:42:21 ubuntu kernel: [  316.792690] EXT4-fs (sda2): last error at time 1578400896: ext4_validate_block_bitmap:376

The errors come more often over time, and it seems like the disk is going to collapse.
I have checked the physical disk, which is on a MacMini, using

fsck_hfs -fn -l -x /dev/rdisk0s2

… returning no issues.

I have been using this guide: Installing HASSOS on VirtualBox and downloaded the VMWare image from https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/, and converted it to .VDI using the copy feature within VirtualBox.

How can I fix these errors?

1 Like

This is really not the right place for support on running an Ubuntu box on a Mac Mini but …

My first guess is that your Mini is power saving and the Ubuntu VM doesn’t know that and loses disc writes. Have you installed guest tools in the VM, I’m sure Virtybox will have some?

Head over to the Ubuntu forums or Virtual Box forums (?) for better support.

1 Like

GuestTools are installed.
The MacMini is not allowed to hybernate or turn off the HDD

I’m having the same problems. I doubt if this has something to do with the physical disk. It seemed to occur only within the VM. I did a chkdsk /R, nothing was found.

I tried to reinstall HomeAssistant. First it ran great, but after a few days some of the errors came back, including this one. HomeAssistant still boots, but I don’t dare to restart the VM. I’m afraid I’ll see the infamous 4-option bootmenu again, telling me that my installation is as corrupt as can be.

My VM console tells me to run e2fsck -D. I don’t know how to do this within the VM.

Any ideas?

1 Like

I ended up ditching the Ubuntu install, only running HASS OS from the .vdi file inside VirtualBox.

This is unfortunate, but is stable.

Seems we have the same setup then. I just rebooted the VM, getting the 4-option boot menu. Everything is corrupted again. :weary:

I’ve had a similar problem, with my similar installation: Hass.io VDI disc image running inside VirtualBox on Mac mini (late 2012) running macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave).

The problem was scary enough that I did a full re-install. A few months later, the problem is back with the new install.

No problems on the Mac mini that’s running VirtualBox. It’s just the virtual machine disc that’s throwing errors.

I’m going to commit a user forum sin: same issue here.

I think if you so much as breathe on the HASSOS filesystem it becomes corrupted. It’s a shame no one responded to your question about how to run FSCK inside the VM. This should probably be part of the boot sequence, and we can’t force (touch etc) as its read-only.

As it stands, I have to create a fresh instance in the VM every few days (regardless of which PC I use). Otherwise it’s a mixture of SQUASHFS errors, FSCK warnings, failures to boot and a couple of other errors I haven’t been able to make out.

Moving across to a Rpi doesn’t seem like a great option either–unless you have money to burn on replacing the SD cards that HA hammers.

It’s a real shame. HA itself is amazing. The OS its currently sitting on is a fragile house of cards…

1 Like

If you blame it on the OS, you could do a supervised install on Debian.

Maybe it wasn’t just the OS. Maybe its virtualbox. That seems to be a common link between many of the issues reported. Perhaps something finicky between my hardware (and its virtualisation) and virtualbox.

I’m trying hyper-V now and early signs are pretty good.

So for the moment, I’ll pull my head in re: HassOS.

1 Like

Hello, I´m running hassio on virtualbox on a linux host system and get those errors.
I dont not how to get rid of them.
ATM everything is running fine

Hello All

Today i get the same issue i also have virtualbox standard installation from ha site

Hello,

I made a fresh install of my hassio in virtualbox.
I started to shutdown the virtual instance always with supervisor in homeassistant
Supervisor --> System --> shutdown

Since I do this I have no errors since 3 weeks now.

Befor I made shutdown of the VM always per Virtualbox --> Shutdown with ACPI

I dont know if this is a point but I will have a look on this in long run of my VM

Stefan

Old thread but did anyone ever get any resolution on how to fix?

I get the same error with the FSCK errors and in the kernel it says booted into emergency mode. I am running vanilla virtual box image. There is another failed further up before the list gets cleared “Failed to start Grow File System on /mnt/data see systemctl.”

at the end It tells me to run journalctl -xb to view logs before showing the HA terminal login but there doesn’t seem to be a straight forward way to run this.

Maybe someone will help.
I have a virtual machine for sinology with hassio.
At some point on boot, I got this in the terminal

I continued downloading by pressing CTR+D.
I executed the command in the terminal

ha> supervisor repair

After that, at the address http://IP:8123/hassio/system, I rebooted the host.

UPD
After upgrading to OS 6.0, everything happened again and cannot be fixed in this way.

Enter

fsck.ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data
reboot

2 Likes

This works! Make sure to also stop other services. I for example had to stop docker to be able to unmount the partition.

I tried this but I get a “permission denied” error

Update: I rebooted, tried again and it looks like my problem is solved. Thanks so much!

Hello to all,

I don’t think this problem is not a “Virtual” Problem. I have PI4B with SATA SSD running. The SSD is connect with external USB Case.
I have same issue. Restart the whole system works fine. After some days or sometimes only some hours the problems occur again.
I changed SSD, I changed case and SSD, I reinstalled 5 or 6 times (Made new hassos installations and restored backup) I changed power supply (2 Original raspi supplys and one USB supply and one USB C supply which is normally fpr Laptop).

How can I troubleshoot? Where are the log files and how can I look whats going on. Especially the problems comes random.

Greetings Oerni