Extend timeout from 10 sec to 20 sec

The command line timeout for sensors is too short (10 sec) and needs at least 15 seconds for the device I am using to send the data.

Using terminal, the my device takes about 15 sec to report…

Log
Update of sensor.thermostat_target is taking over 10 seconds
1:30 AM util/async_.py (WARNING)

As best I can tell from the code the warning is hard coded to 10 seconds. I think the best you can do is to change the log severity level for homeassistant.helpers.entity (say, to error) to prevent these warnings, but that would affect everything. Probably not wise, though.

Of course, you could just edit the code and change the SLOW_UPDATE_WARNING constant (which, of course, will get overwritten the next time you update HA, so probably not a good solution either.)

I think maybe a better approach, if you’re up to it, is to create a process external to HA that periodically obtains the value, and then uses HA’s API to update a “fake” sensor entity. Unless I’m missing something obvious…

2 Likes

Hello again!
Any idea where I can find entity.py in hassio (Raspberry PI img file from hassio)
I’ve checked /usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py
But theres nothing inside site-packages called homeassistant.

In configuration folder I have configuration.yaml but I cant find entity.py anywhere.

Best,

Jim

I don’t use hassio, so no idea. If you can run a shell you might try:

sudo find / -name entity.py 2>/dev/null
1 Like

Am reloading onto Hassbian tonight. It’s bit more tweakable!

Thanks for the search term :+1: