Extending battery life of Zigbee devices

Hello,

I am a newbee in HA and could not find the answer, so I am asking on the forum.

After only two days, several zigbee devices (a temperature sensor and a motion detector) have reached 60% of battery life. I am quite sure they were 100% two days ago. These are CR2450 3V batteries.

I ordered a pack of 10 new batteries from a quality vendor.

Is there a way to extend the life of batteries? For example with less frequent queries?

Kind regards,
Ffries

Battery zigbee devices tend to give you false report on battery status. I had 100% battery status report but battery was dead.
The only way to be sure that battery is gone is frequently disconnecting from network and low light on paring device.
Another thing is low battery on new devices and that is common especially if device was sitting long time before purchase.
You can play with report interval but don’t do that before you are certain that device has a battery problem.

1 Like

Temperature also plays a huge factor. The temperature sensor in my freezer is at 16% - and has been at 16% for three months. I configured automations to alert me when any battery gets below 10%. Until such time, I don’t even pay any attention to battery levels. Waste of time.

1 Like

Okay, I change batteries and see if this improves before anything.
Next time I will test with a voltmeter.

What devices are they?

I think I’ve had to change maybe 2 Hue dimmer switches and 1 external motion sensor (from 13 indoor/outdoor motion sensors and dimmer switches) since I got them 3 5* years ago and none of my Aqara contact sensors over 2 4 years.

Edit: @NathanCu’s comments made me think. It has actually been 5 years for my Hue and 4 for my Aqara - time flies!

1 Like

if those are new sensors to you - I strongly urge you to wait on the batteries. IoT devices are horrendus at accurate battery metering - chances are those things could stay at 60% for two years.

If you’re just watching battery meters (because you’re new and they’re, there - I get it, all the information.) stop. Wait until they die the first time -THEN go back and see the battery history for what happened - you now know what this device ‘looks like’ when the battery dies and should be able to replace it just before it gets that way next time - thus maximizing battery. But don’t go on the meter if you’ve never seen it die.

I have one NYCE door hinge using a 2032 (I think) that’s had the same battery on 75% for 5 years, and it works. While the one in the door across the hall dies consistently, still reading 80 % after 18 mo. You just don’t know until you see it operate real world.

Now as to how to maximize battery - STRONG mesh. The stronger your line powered device mesh is - the less your batteries have to work.

1 Like