Home assistant with Conbee II (ZHA)
Zigbee Network works fine with 22 devices
Lan connection

Basement

Lan connection with main house
Not possible zigbee protocol transmission due to distance

Is it possible to have a secondary LAN device as this one

but not as a coordinator, as a router/gateway
and connect zigbee devices on the “same zigbee” network as the main house?

I do understand that I can’t have 2 coordinators on HA.

Also I am not sure if Z2M would solve my problem since I am using ZHA at the moment.
Thank you in advance

yes this is possible.

No it is not Zigbee can not be transmitted as router over Ethernet. Search the forum, the question has been asked already several times.

it is the way i am using it…
with a SLZB-06 adapter.

@francisp from what i have seen previously are suggestions to use zigbee plugs/repeaters in order to extent it for large distances, but have not seen a thread that says it is impossible. If you could point a relevant thread I would much appreciate it.

@SuperElma Could you share how you achieved connectivity to the existing zigbee network?
Here is a screenshot from my setup

If you are using the SLZB-06 as a router, not coordinator, the ethernet connection is only used for power, not data. The only way to achieve this is to run 2 different Zigbee networks.

1 Like

Your setup is correct, the socket will not be connected as your device is routing over Zigbee, hence nothing is using the socket that is in use if you use it as a coordinator.

This ^^^ . The Zigbee signal is not routed over Ethernet.

1 Like

Do not do try even that! As mentioned, been asked and answered so many times has tso warnings had be added to ZHA and Zigbee2MQTT documentation because it is such a bad idea it can not be “supported”:

Warning about using Zigbee Coordinator over Wi-Fi/WAN/VPN

Caution!

Be aware that using a Zigbee Coordinator via a Serial-Proxy-Server (also known as Serial-to-IP bridge or Ser2Net remote adapter) over a Wi-Fi, WAN, or VPN connection is not recommended.

Serial protocols used by the Zigbee Coordinator do not have enough robustness, resilience, or fault tolerance to handle packet loss and latency delays that can occur over unstable connections.

A Zigbee Coordinator requires a stable local connection to its serial port interface with no drops in communication between it and the Zigbee gateway application running on the host computer.

Connect to a remote adapter

Warning!

Be aware that it is not recommended to use a Zigbee Coordinator via a Serial-Proxy-Server (also known as Serial-to-IP bridge or Ser2Net remote adapter) over a WiFi, WAN, or VPN connection.

Serial protocols used by Zigbee Coordinator do not have enough robustness, resilience, or fault-tolerance to handle packet loss and latency delays that can occur over unstable connections.

Zigbee Coordinator requires a stable local connection to its serial port interface with no drops in communication between it and the Zigbee gateway application running on the host computer.

Thus be warned that connecting to a network-attached remote Zigbee Coordinator over WiFi/WAN/VPN using Ser2Net or other Serial Proxy/Forwarding Tunnel is not supported for normal operation.

1 Like

@vnastis If you are in the same building then recommend buying a few “known great” dedicated Zigbee Router products and place them strategically as Zigbee repeaters/extenders, even wall-to-wall if needed. It should be possible to get your your Zigbee signal into your basements by using many more (and better) Zigbee Router devices.

If you want to get the best setup then the best AND most cost-effective Zigbee Router that money can buy today is just to convert a few of ITead’s “Sonoff Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle Plus V2” (model “ZBDongle-E” based on Silicon Labs EFR32MG21) into dedicated Zigbee signal repeater / Zigbee range extenders by flashing them with Zigbee Router firmware and powering them with a simply USB-chargers. While maybe not the prettiest solution to look at, if you make sure they are permanently powered then joining/pairing three or more to your Zigbee network and spreading them around in your home will create an extremely stable backbone in your Zigbee network.

That is, make yourself some semi-DIY variant by flashing the correct Zigbee Router firmware to Zigbee Coordinator USB dongles and then using them as stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeater devices in USB-chargers for power. While the ZBDongle-E is best you can use either the Sonoff ZBDongle-E (EFR32MG21 based) or the Sonoff ZBDongle-P (CC2652P) work great as dedicated stand-alone Zigbee Signal Repeaters with recommended firmware.

If you want something that works good out-of-the-box the “IKEA Tradfri Signal Repeater ” and “Aeotec Range Extender Zi ” are products that work very well out-of-the-box, but not “great” as those semi-DIY variants detailed above.

Additional tips:

• Zigbee uses mesh networking and depends on having many “Zigbee Router” devices to extend range and coverage
  • Recommendation is to add additional mains-powered Zigbee devices known to be good Zigbee Router devices
  • Note that not all mains-powered devices have firmware that makes them act as a Zigbee Router device
  • Some brands/models of Zigbee Router devices are known to only work well with the same brand of devices

For more best practice tips also read and follow this → Zigbee network optimization: a how-to guide for avoiding radio frequency interference + adding Zigbee Router devices (repeaters/extenders) to get a stable Zigbee network mesh with best possible range and coverage by fully utilizing Zigbee mesh networking

1 Like

@Hedda thank you very much for the detailed answer!

I actually made it work having the secondary coordinator at the basement and connecting devices to it.
The main house uses the Conbee II usb on the host PC via ZHA, and the basement has direct eth cable connecting the SLZB-06p7 via Z2M.

I would like to mention that I am over LAN 100Mbps(no WAN, wifi, vpn) and maybe this does not apply so much to my case, but one way or the other I do realize that there are concerns of stability due to the reasons mentioned (fault tolerance, packet loss, latency). Btw I am using it for non critical devices (temperature sensors).

I will read about the products you suggested and I will check out and try the clean zigbee repeater solution having everything on the same “mesh”.

Thank you. :pray:

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)