External floodlight with PIR

Hi, I’m looking for an external LED floodlight, but one which has a PIR built in, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMHUE-Equivalent-Replacement-Waterproof-Floodlight/dp/B0759XQRMT/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1519392943&sr=8-9&keywords=led+floodlight+pir

My use-case is that I want something which works as a ‘normal’ PIR light by default, but can be overridden with HASS, to allow forcing the light on or off (bypassing the PIR), and also to allow the PIR output to be used as an input to HASS.

I’m thinking of something similar to the setup described on Hacking LED Floodlight, but with a few differences:

• Single-coloured output instead of RGB
  • Use a Sonoff (with Tasmota) instead of a Magic Home controller
  • PIR wired into GPIO 14 of the Sonoff.

Has anyone tried anything similar or got any recommendations, I’m assuming that the PIR needs to be powered, but don’t really know.

1 Like

Following… Wanting to do the same to replace my old X10 motion floods.

I’ve attempted the same using a Sonoff Basic, PIR and the “radar” detectors driving GPIO14 but continue to get continuous false triggers. Tried various methods to filter caps, pull up and downs and even driving pin with a transistor with no luck. The device does trigger so it has to be seeing noise on the power or IR/radar sensor. Going to try to isolate the motion onto another board or power supply I guess and see if that helps.

There are ways to modify the cheap HC-SR501 PIR to run off of 3v by bypassing the on board regulator. I’ve tried it that way and tapping off 5v feeding the sensor but same results.

I bought a simple flood light fixture ($8US), 3D printed a housing for the Sonoff and had planned on using that but function is the problem. in any manner, following this to see if anyone else has a better option. Good luck!