"Failed to establish a new connection" for several components

I’ve been fighting with this issue for a while now and figured it was time to ask the community.

Basically, I am experiencing intermittent failures with any cloud-based service. In particular, I have problems with Nest, tuya, and Darksky. When I try to set the temp on my Nest thermostat, for example, it will fail about 75% of the time. The errors I see are always the same: “Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Try again” (the errors are much longer, of course, but I believe this is the core of the issue).

I don’t have any other issues with my home network and have manually changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8. I don’t see any other issues with the networking side of things, just the cloud stuff. All of my local devices (Hue, mqtt, sonoff) run perfectly.

I appreciate any ideas or advice.

Set your logging level to debug and check the logs for excessive traffic.

When I did this I was surprised to see the volume of data that the Glances component generates. This was causing network issues for me occasionally.

1 Like

Thanks for the help. Enabling debug helped me realize that my Tuya plugs were calling home every few seconds. I disabled that module and things are working much better now.