Failed to send event on notification cleared

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster (so please be kind :wink::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:).
I have the official Android app installed on 2 phones. There are no sensors (0) selected in either install. However, on one phone, I repeatedly get this message (in the form of a pop-up notification), each time I clear any Android notification (not just HA, any notification at all):

“Failed to send event on notification cleared”

What I don’t get is that if I am not watching any sensors (including Notification related ones), then why is the app trying to send events to my HA instance about notifications that I clear on my phone? Also, how can I troubleshoot or disable this behaviour?

Thanks

This event is sent for notifications that you dismiss which you sent to the app on an automation. You can’t stop the event but if you check companion app logs you’ll see the reason for the failure.

Thanks @dshokouhi. Though, I do not understand the second part of the statement ("…which you sent to the app on an automation"). I do not have any automations relying on a notification cleared event.

On a side note: I think the error is due to the fact that I’m not on my home WiFi, and I do not have a cloud subscription. Hence, the app doesn’t have a route to the HA instance.

That is not what I meant. I meant that any notification posted by the app from an automation will have its cleared event sent to HA.

Yup that is correct, someone has started a PR to hide this error message. Keep in mind majority of users have HA exposed to the net and use a cloud service so they needed to be informed of when this event failed to send. Silent errors are not good so they are best to inform a user.

You will also experience a similar error with actionable notifications. Widgets, sensors and all other app functions will not work as well.

You can always setup remote access without subscribing to NC cloud as well, there are plenty of guides online. Personally I don’t see a reason to use the app if you don’t plan on having HA remotely accessible.

Thanks again for the quick response. I do have a remote option (using Tailscale), though I don’t have the TS connection always running on my phone. I usually just connect to TS when I need to connect to HA, and then disconnect.

1 Like